1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Upgrade my Nex

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Yadex, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Hi I have a Nex-3 and a Nex-5n I will like to upgrade to a Nex-5R or a Nex-6 but I really don't know if is a good thing to do
    and I will like to sell one of my cameras but I don't make my mind with which one i should keep?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hi Yadex, welcome to the forum. :)

The 5R isn't that much different from your 5N. You get the control dial on top, PDAF assist focus and WiFi.

With the 6 you all the 5R gives you plus the built in EVF.

Were it me I'd sell the 3 and get the 6.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, it only makes sense if you want a built in EVF. There are no other advantages which could justify an upgrade from a 5N to a 5R or 6. The 7 is a different story of course.

I pereonally still use a NEX-5 as there are, image quality wise, no reasons to upgrade. Do I want an integrated EVF and the Tri-Navi? Yep, but I can wait until the 7 successor is released. Do you need or want an EVF bad enoughg that it's worth an imminent upgrade? Remember, you won't get much for a used 3 body.

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Don't forget about the wifi transfer. That was a deciding factor also when upgrading from my 5n to 6.

It may be a little funky but when I'm at a concert it's good to have the ability to upload photos to Social media in real time.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

5. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1373040412.708505. Nex5N

6. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1373040460.973269. Nex-5N

7. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1373040755.499710. Nex-3

8. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1373040785.732388. Nex-3

9. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1373040835.950576. Nex-5N

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Out of camera JPEGs? Sure. Sony has a well known history in building bad JPEG engines, and they improved it quite a bit from the first gen NEX cameras to the second gen. But really, develop the RAW files and there won't be a significant difference. I shoot pretty difficult scenes sometimes (just check out my Flickr - link in my signature below) and never had a problem with the IQ of my first gen NEX-5 (same sensor as in your 3). Dynamic range is pretty much the same, as is color depth (if used with a high quality lens) and resolution. The only significant difference is the high ISO, which is about 1/3 to a half of a stop better in newer NEX models, but even in my night landscapes, my NEX-5 never disappoints.

And back to the original question: There won't be a difference between the 5N and the 5R/6. They use the same sensor and pretty much the same processor. The biggest difference is that the newer ones have worse IQ in video mode, probably due to the reworked algorithms for the on-sensor PDAF pixels.

Here's what DXO says: DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Edit: Oh, and I just accidentally found a quote from John Camp, which, I think, fits in here quite well. Let me say, before I post it, I don't intend any offense. But it's pretty clear that this relates to all of us, I think.

11. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    That's pretty much the best thing I've read in this forum.

A developed photographic mind can make almost any photographic equipment work.

Only if you need to produce shots to an industry standard, do you need to worry about equipment.

That said, it's possible to pay for convenience, which I did when I added NEX to my other systems.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Love the quote.

Just buying a new camera is not going to make your shots better, if you don't understand how to take good pictures now.

That said there is something exciting about new gear. I did a original 3 to F3 upgrade this year and love the advances, especially the built-in flash.

13. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
  14. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
  15. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey