1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upgrade from my 5N

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Yadex, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I really don't know to upgrade my 5N to a a6000 or go for something else full frame !!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I think you need to define what you want to do that you can't do with the 5N. Then you can search for the camera that meets that need.

Unless you're just suffering from Gear Acquisition Syndrome, in which case you should go for the biggest, baddest thing you can find. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Well I think it's a fair question for many 5N users as their cameras reach about 2 years old. I went from 5N to A7 and completely happy, but it does involve a significant outlay to get the most out of the system (i.e. FE55/1.8 is not cheap). I think the A6000 is a worthy alternative. I honestly don't know which I'd have gone for if they both had come out at the same time.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well said.

Is there things you are struggling to do with your current 5N, it just craving something new and shinny?

• Like Like x 1
  5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Same boat here - I sit every day on the Sony Store website, and wonder if this is the day I order the A6000 to replace my 5n. Just not happy with what is in the A7/A7R/A7S to get one of those. I had convinced myself that getting an A6000 and giving my wife the 5n was a better move than getting her the RX10.

So will I be happier with the A6000 until a better FF model comes along that has all my desired qualities? Are PDAF, continuous AF, 24MP enough of an upgrade for me? They are certainly things I would like to have. I don't feel I have to have 11fps. Other than that, what am I getting? If someone told me I could replace the sensor in the 5n with a 24MP PDAF sensor, would that alone be worth it? Would I pay $650 to do that? If so, why wouldn't I pay that amount AND keep my 5n?

I dunno... but I didn't order one today - maybe tomorrow will be different.

6. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Yes I'm just craving something new and shinny plus my camera is gray I will like one black

7. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I have both 5N and A7.

I still regularly use my 5N, especially when light is sufficient, when I want more reach, when I want more DoF (not less), or when I just want to use a lighter body.

5N is a GREAT camera, I actually miss the touch screen and the articulate EVF of the 5N a little bit, when I shoot with the A7 LCD from low angle (e.g. wildflower).

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Ask yourself: Do you really need a new body right now?

I upgraded a few months back from a NEX-5 to a 7, so my current camera was released at the same day as yours. Why did I upgrade? Well, the original 5 didn't have an option for an EVF, the shutter lag just was too long and the Tri-Navi and AF/MF-button was something which speeds up my workflow dramatically.

What are you getting when upgrading? It seems like the only thing you're interested in is the higher resolution sensor. If that is the case, don't upgrade. The higher resolution only allows you to print 25% bigger at the same DPI. And dynamic range and high ISO is almost the same.

If you have money to spend, buy lenses instead. You'll have lenses for your lifetime, but a body will only last a few years. There are wonderful NEX lenses. Look at the Zeiss Touits, the 24mm Sonnar or the FE 55mm. Look at all the awesome cheaper primes like the 35 1.8 and the 50 1.8. I'm sure something like this could help you much more than a new body.

If you shoot in the studio, also consider to build or extend your flash setup. I recently build one my own (although I wasn't able to fund it yet), and you can get a complete setup with ADI capabilities for less than 800 bucks. If you don't need ADI capabilities (which your 5N can't transmit anyway) you're looking at something much closer to half of that.

9. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Same here. I have both and even if I shoot mainly with the A7 now, I still love my 5N. Honestly, taking great shots is not a matter of camera body.
    I had the occasion to get the A7 body at an unbeatable price when I was in Bangkok and as I shoot quite exclusively with old primes I wanted to try them back on FF.
    On the other hand I wanted to have a second body, a little bigger, I find the 5N sometimes to tiny in hands, and thus have two different FL ready and limit the need to switch lenses.
    The A7 is great and I could easily have moved for a Nex7. I really wanted to get benefit from my lenses.

10. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Yadex, do you have the sigma art 30mm f2.8? if you dont get that, paired with the 5n (i have 5n, a3000 and A7r and use them all) it is awesome. cheap, mega sharp and tiny and light, and looks beautiful on the 5n (get the silver lens variant) that should slake your GAS for a while :p

I only upgraded from the 5n because the body wasnt substantial enough to support my massive legacy lenses. I still use the 5n for sports photography because of the excellent burst rate (with manual focus lenses lol, AF not quite up to that). I shot 2 weddings professionally with it and got some lovely pics with the sigma 30mm and 60mm art lenses. Its a excellent camera. Better to get lenses than you can keep for a a6000 or a7/r (its works surprisingly well on A7r, (with baffle removed a 1 minute job)

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_decodts_photography/12891575525/in/photostream/player/" width="500" height="334" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    couldnt find a pic of the 30, its much smaller than this, but equally as lovely :)

NEX-5R_Sigma-60mm-Macro-DN-Lens.

12. oylo

oylo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Norway
    I upgraded from 5N to A7R. Have not regretted. One of the advantages is that I can crop the picture a lot and still have relatively good results.

Main.

Heidi surfer i 3 grader._1.JPG
    iso100, f2,8, 1/1600

• Like Like x 2
  13. husahin

husahin New to TalkEmount

Apr 2, 2014
    Same dilemma for me, A6000 vs A7. Why i want to upgrade from nex-5n are:
    1. I hate nex menu system. Can't customize all options, very few buttons on the rearside because of small body.
    2. Lack of viewfinder
    3. Incredibly slow focus (i don't need super fast focus but it is too slow)
    The dilemma for me is i like shooting landscape/cityscape most of the time so A7 is more attractive on the other hand i can't afford to buy both body and good (which good!!!) lenses for it. And this is not my job, just my hobby, i am not shooting all year, so i am not sure whether it is worth to spend that much money. Very hard decision for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    If you don't run manual lenses, go for the A6000.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Most of the time i use my camera out doors and I can't use my evf because I use the flash to avoid shadow in the pictures and some times the sun light don't let me see the screen right

16. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I agree. It's not just that the A7 is a lot of money, the problem is those full frame autofocus lenses are also really expensive.

So unless you have a lot of legacy glass to shoot with A6000 does seem to make more sense.

17. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Looking at those crops, I am starting to consider the a6000. On paper it should help with 2 issues I have with my system. I wanted a longer lens and better AF performance.
    The primary reasons is I really like shooting wildlife, and there is no long lens for the e-mount so you are always cropping. The extra resolution may help with cropping. AF performance is the other issue when shooting wildlife. Particularly, in less than ideal lighting and subject is moving. At the same time, I want a better all purpose lens. I am trying to choose between the a6000 and the SELP18-105G.

18. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you want high-quality tele lenses with AF you should definitely check out Sony's A-Mount 70-300 and 70-400 lenses as well as Sigmas 200-500 2.8 / 400 - 1000 5.6. With a LA-EA2 adapter, you should have super fast and accurate AF and with a 1.5 crop factor that gives you up to a 1500mm f/5.6 lens, which sound kinda awesome. :D

19. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Poki. That 2.8 would do the trick, but too costly. Incidentally, that was why I went to B&h and got to shoot that NY feature. I bought the LAEA2 and the 55-300mm on Monday. I returned it Sunday. I really wanted to love it. The focusing was fast, but the lack of stabilization and the small aperture made it a mid-day combo only. To get sharp pics I had to amp up ISO to get shutter to 1/500.

I would still recommend the LA-EA2. It opens up a world of fine lenses and fast AF.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  20. imperialv

imperialv New to TalkEmount

Nov 10, 2013
    I upgraded my 5N to 6 because of evf...

• Like Like x 1