Updating Lens Firmware

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by scott0487, Feb 4, 2015.

1. scott0487

scott0487 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2015
    Sorry if this has been asked or is obvious, but I am wondering how one knows when a lens update is available. Do most people just attach the camera and lens to the computer and see if an update is prompted? Does that work with Macs also?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I usually find out because someone here posts a link to the update, or to an article about the update. AFAIK Sony doesn't ever alert owners about firmware updates, and the cameras and lenses have no bult-in alert system either. It's basically up to you to keep informed, unfortunately.

As for working with Macs, yes, Sony does provide MacOS versions of the updaters. But they are really, really, really bad about keeping up with the latest MacOS. Sometimes it takes them months after the latest MacOS release before they update the firmware updater. So if you are pretty good about updating your MacOS, you will often find yourself unable to run a firmware update unless you have a second Mac with an older OS.
  3. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Visiting sonyalpharumors.com regularly should do as they immediately post the news whenever a new update is released.
  4. scott0487

scott0487 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2015

Thank you both for your responses. I am discovering that using my wife's Windows machine seems to be the best/easiest (and sometimes only) way to stay updated. Appreciate you both responding.