1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

(updated with pics) NEED HELP ASAP! Re-assembling Soligor 135mm F2.0

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by BrorSvensson, Sep 30, 2015.

1. BrorSvensson

BrorSvensson TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Hello! 3 screws on my soligor 135mm f2.0 got loose without me know so when i was turning the focus ring the optical part of the lens disconnected from the focus/aperture module. I have a wedding to shoot this weekend and this is my primary portrait lens so im really in a big struggle! If any think they can help me please please write here so i can send some photos of how it looks right now!
    Big thanks in advance!

2. RnR

RnR TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Post your location so folk who knows of a good lens doctor close to you can give you help.

3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    It is hard to know without more pics or anything, and I haven't taken apart a Soligor lens.

But I do know that many lenses are designed so that this happens. The idea is that you loosen some screws, and calibrate the lens by focusing it to infinity (by using a distant object). Once the lens is focused you set the loose focus ring to infinity and tighten the screws to lock it down.

4. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    8951_Bild12_1.
    8951_Bild14_1.
    8951_Bild15_1.
    8951_Bild16_1.
    8951_Bild17_1.
    the screw in the circle was the one which came loose.

So the main problem im finding after sitting most of the night figuring out the lens is those two bronze colored sticks that you see in the first picture, they sit super close to the threads and they do not rotate, only the threads do when focusing. I origianly thought i could just screw on the optical part but is not happening becuse of those bronze things.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that these bronze things are guides stabilizing the helicoid. There are suitable places for them in the front piece. The helicoid will screw in in several positions but only one of them is correct one, the front piece has got 3 starts showing so I think that there is something like 8 possible starting positions.

7. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    on the 4th picture you can see two holes on each side of the optical part, those fit in the bronze part but i cant screw it in. The threads seem either very thight or just really hard to aline.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    They are hard to line up. Usually there is quite a bit of play in helicoids and helicoid grease is used to take care of fitting them together but they must be exactly on same line and the helicoids will start to screw in in many positions. When dismantling helicoids you usually mark where you start to screw with a felt tip pen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    I broke and fixed it at the same time. It now work to focus but the aperture is stuck wide open. that's is were i always shoot so not does not matter to be but the re-sale value is now second to none.

10. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    There is usually a lever that forces the lens wide open, so that the film camera it was designed for would have a bright viewfinder for composing.

When taking a photo this lever is released and the lens stops down for the correct exposure.

This is most likely causing your issue with the aperture, but maybe try fixing it after your wedding shoot.

11. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    thanks for the tip! I'll try it after the wedding!

12. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    135 is my favorite for weddings.