Unscientific Observations

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by olli, Oct 4, 2011.

1. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    On a recent trip to Germany I noticed that while Canon and Nikon DSLR's still dominate ILC's, NEX's are starting to make a stronger showing. I saw quite a few NEX's in use mostly with the 18-55 lensand mostly silver rather than black. I saw far fewer M43 cameras though. Still a long way to go to break the duopoly and persuade people that there are alternatives to DSLR's. Further thoughts on my blog.

2. Alowisney

Alowisney TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Macon, GA USA
    I know that in America, the prevailing attitude is "bigger is better" so you see more people with DSLRs than ILCs. People tend to pay a lot less attention to me with my NEX so I use that to my advantage.

I think ILCs will eventually pick up steam here, but it's going to take some time.

3. Tymoe

Tymoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    That's nice to hear, olli! Here in Muenster I haven't seen any NEX-cams :( But I often notice that, when I talk to DSLR-owners, they do not really know anything about photography and only use the full-automatic-mode of their cam. Those people are carrying their heavy machines (often only with a kit-zoom or some kind of tele-zoom) and probably have never heard of system-cams. I think the EVILs-market has an enormously high potential!

4. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Tymoe I was in Frankfurt and also in Heidelberg - lots of tourists - and Munich on the last weekend of O'Fest - so lots and lots of tourists.