Unpacking cameras F3 and so many questions

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by alaios, Jan 17, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Dear all,
    the camera is charging right now for first time :)

I have been reading the short version manual and I have so many questions. I will start with few and in the next days I will be probably adding more

1) The camera is charging through the usb cable directly connected to the computer. The plug at the camera's side looks though very tiny and probably susceptible to be damaged. Would not be better to have an external charger for the most charges and keep the plug when there is no other option. In that case which charger should I buy, the official?

2) The package contained also a small sony ring that I am not sure where should be used for. It is transparent at the lenses area but the ring slightly bigger than the lense it self. I will try later to upload an image

3) The body cap ALC-B1EM was not included in the package. I guess is this to protect the camera when lense is not attached and is something I should buy

4) What about the rear lenses caps. Are these also needed? ALC-R1EM My default kit does not think it has one. Right?

5) Shooting still images continuously. When that is needed? If I try to take a nice portrait does this pay off to try?

6) Which format should I take pictures, 2:3 or 16:9. I guess I need mostly those for printing and sharing at my computer

7) Which video format for viewing at pc, sharing at internet and why not watch on a future tv (do not have now a tv)

That is all for now :)

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    I can't answer all of these, but I'll answer the ones I can.

1) I've never used the usb cable to either download pics or charge batteries. My 5N came with an external battery charger. There are several aftermarket units that will work. I tend to stay with manufacturer batteries unless I can find something that works as well and is just as reliable. Not aware of any, maybe someone else is?

3 & 4) Do a search on either Amazon or ebay for NEX rear lens cap. Many of them come in pairs- a rear lens cap and a body cap. Much less expensive than getting the Sony units. Any time a lens isn't on the camera it should have a rear lens cap on it to protect it. Both caps actually. As a last resort I have a bag of body caps and will send you one, you pay the shipping. ;)

5) If you were shooting something that was moving from side-to-side in front of you you can shoot in continuous mode and then stack the pics on the computer to give you an image with the subject in multiple places in the pic.

6) You could crop a 3:2 image to 16:9 and probably not lose much (depends on subject) but cropping a 16:9 image to 3:2 is giving away a lot of pixels.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    good answers

I too have a seperate charger, never tried USB charging.

Mine did not come with any rings.

The cap covers are very easy to come by.

Multi burst mode is fun for action shots showing multipule shots.

Enjoy your F3
  4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Sony is horribly cheap not providing those caps, thankfully you find find the pair (body cap + rear lens cap) on ebay for nearly nothing (I think I paid around 3€ for mine !!!). The 6 also charges via usb, it's a pain in the butt, get a third party charger.
  5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    1)My 5N also came with an external charger... is it really that case that Sony doesn't provide there with the newer r, 3 or 6 model???? SHAME ON SONY!!! Try to get one and also take a look at an extra battery pack, I would recommend original Sony gear here...
    2) Hmmm... don't know what this is... did you buy in shop? Try to ask there...
    3)+4) If you buy the body with a kit lens you don't get these two caps, but You only need them if you want remove the lens for any purpose like transport or cleaning... perhaps the shop you buyed could help you there too but they're also cheap in the bay...
    5) Perfect for sport, portraits, kids, pets...
    6) Normally 2:3 is fine, 16:9 is good for TV few but not if you want some real pictures out of your digital files.
    7) For sharing I would use MP4 format not AVCHD which provides better quality.
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Original Sony battery is NP-FW50, same as for my NEX-6. The NEX-6 packages don't include a separate charger as well, and I agree that charging via the USB cable is a royal PITA. You can't even charge your second battery while using the camera with the first! :mad:

I bought an original Sony charger and battery second-hand for about half the price. The original Sony charger has type number BC-VW1, there's also a charger+battery combo ACC-VW. Pricey; a lot of people seem to get by with a third-party charger.
  7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    I think it's really a SHAME that you have to pay extra for an external charger since the NEX 5N... does the Nex 7 has one?
    I recognized that on the Sony homepage while looking at the Nex 6 specs but thought thex just don't list it... but now I know that it's really not included...
  8. Derichuk

Derichuk TalkEmount Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    I purchased a third party charger and battery for Nex-6 for about $80 Canadian (hovers around par with USD). The third party charger is ok but does it really have to do anything more than work? The third party battery seems to have a longer charge than the original sony! So pretty happy with my purchases.