• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Unlikely Choice: A6400 or RX10 IV

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
First, you should know that I have a Sony full-frame kit: The A7 III, Sony 16-35 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and a number of primes including the Sony 28 f/2.0, 35 f/2.8, 55 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.8.

I also have a micro four-thirds kit that is my go-to for nature, wildlife and all things requiring real telephoto glass. That includes the Panasonic-Leica 100-400.

A couple of years ago, I got it into my head that I liked the APS-C Sony A6XXX series. And, while it may seem a bit superfluous in light of my other gear, I still do like it. But it has never seen heavy use.

Ratchet forward a bit... and I have recently sold off my very lightly used A6000 and A6300 bodies. My intent was to use the proceeds to pick up a new A6400 body with the advanced autofocus and tracking - and it might still happen.

But I have not-so-secretly been admiring the Sony RX10 IV for a number of months. I'm beginning to consider it as an alternative for wildlife photography requiring true telephoto ability. A number of nature photographers have described the camera as making it almost embarrassingly easy to capture birds in flight.

And now it occurs to me that if I also sold off my A6XXX-specific glass, I'd be able to buy an RX10 IV for no capital outlay on my part - and maybe have cash left over. My lenses include the Sony 10-18 f/4, 16-70 f/4, 55-210 f/4.5-6.3 and a few primes including the Sony 20mm f/2.8 and the Sigma 16 and 30mm f/1.4.

On one hand, the switch seems ridiculous. But on the other, the RX10 IV (or a rumored Mark V) might also replace my need for a separate micro four-thirds system.

Anyone have any thoughts? It could be my thinking is all off here. It could also be that the RX10 IV, while brilliant as a bridge camera, might not be nearly as good compared with my other gear. And I am fairly heavily invested in the APS-C E-mount. I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Go the a6400 route. Sell the m4/3 gear. Buy the just released FE 200-600mm G. On APS-C, you'll have a max FOV of 900mm! And Animal Eye AF and Real-time tracking.
Consolidates you to a full E-mount system. The new zoom can be used on your A7III. No more two incompatible separate systems. You also have the best possible resolution in APS-C and full-frame. It will be measurably superior to a 1" sensor and m4/3 in low light.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
That's an excellent plan. I'd have to hold and play with the 200-600 before pulling the trigger. It's about twice the weight of the PL 100-400.

Reactions: WNG

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Top Veteran
1400g v 2300g if memory serves.

RX10IV - did I hear somewhere that at longer tele lengths the AF is only contrast detect?

Latest threads

Top Bottom