Understanding aperture

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Jul 7, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hey there.
    I am currently trying to understand how aperture affects ... so what I do these days during my walks with my daughter (when she is sleeping) I am using the stroller as the main topic.

Aperture - AlexPal's Photos (password is 1)
    You will find here three images (and three more) that I shot with different apertures starting from the widest open to smaller ones.

Which one would you prefer more? I tend to like more images where the background fasts gets defocused but sometimes this removes the content information of the image.?

Regards
    Alex

2. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I think that a babystroller on its own is not an interesting enough subject. The interest in the picture would have to be the relation of the stroller to its environment.

Therefore I think that you should try to get at least the main parts of the background in focus.

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I guess what you mean is that I should step few steps back and include the whole stroller in the image?
    I will retry today.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Photography is based on the Inverse Square Law. It effects everything but photographers pay more attention to it. In your case....

Aperture = The larger the number, the smaller the hole.
    The smaller the hole, the more DOF.

5. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Sure, you can always crop it down after the fact.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I find these shots pretty nice! From the first set I like #2 and from the second set I like #3 ;)

7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Like most things, with shallow focus I find there's too much, there's not enough and then there's just right. (And also like most things, individual tastes vary considerably!)

8950808579_3817c2cbff_c.
    Random Mix Tumbler Set by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

I find the key is to isolate a subject without bisecting it. I could have shot the above frame at f/22 but then the foliage in the background would be competing for attention. (I dislike monotony and clutter...) I could have also shot it wide open, but then just the very tip of the front cup would have been crisp and everything else would have been pretty severely blurry. You'd probably have to take a few seconds just to figure out what the subject is. I settled on this setting (probably f/8) because I felt an appropriate balance of style and function.

Definitely experiment and audition different settings and definitely focus with extra care when the field is more shallow. (Looks like you missed it on the shallowest wide shot and it spoiled what would have been my favorite frame.)

8. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Nice glass (no not the lens, the tumblers)

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks! (I'm kind of partial to the lens as well, actually - Micro-Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8 AI-s.) ;)