1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Uncompressed raw

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by Deadbear77, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    has anyone used this feature? Is it worth the extra storage? Does it make a big difference?

2. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Doesn't make a big difference, but seems to make a difference. I shot uncompressed.

But, I shoot only a few photos, not that storage demanding.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

It really depends on what you shoot, how you process it and what you do with your files (web vs. large prints, ...).
    I don't have any problems with the lossy RAWs from my NEX-7 as long as I don't tweak the tones too! much, like in some of my experimental stuff. The more you tweak the more bits you want/need to avoid tonal separation (banding) and sooner or later you'll even notice the difference between 12 and 14bits, like for example on my Fujis (X-Trans I vs. II). For most genres though (portraits, landscapes, documentary, ...) lossy RAWs are all I'd ever need. I remember an article on DPR that highlights some of the issues with lossy RAWs but don't have the link.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andromeda143

Andromeda143 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia
    Clive Dickinson
    I shoot uncompressed raw all the time, because it gives you the maximum flexibility when editing on the computer. I almost always edit my photos, some of them quite drastically and quite a few times. This is probably because I rarely get the shot just right in camera. I also crop mercilessly, because I shoot mostly with primes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I upgraded the firmware on my A7ii to get the uncompressed raw feature, then switched it off after seeing the file size. However, since then, I have modified my workflow to do more rejection of useless images before I store them and process them. So I think I will switch uncompressed raw back on now.
    I never had a problem with the compressed raw image quality, by the way. But now that storage should not be a big problem the extra bits may come in handy some day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    I have used it.
    Does not make any difference that I can see, so I don't use it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    The problem with uncompressed raws is the 82mb file size on the A7rii which takes twice as long to write to card which can effect your ability to shoot/review. We have seen it only really benefits you in certain cases - ie where there are sharp edges between strong highlights and strong shadows - such as night time cityscapes or astro. I will probably turn it on occasionally for this sort of shoot (maybe). A few artifacts here and there can be sorted out pretty easily in photoshop.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ayobreezie

ayobreezie TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 28, 2015
    Chris
    I bought a couple 256gb SD cards. PNY Extreme? On amazon for $80. Helps a lot, but I don't shoot enough to ever fill em up. Transfer everything I shoot to the computer and delete the images on the card on a regular basis.