Ultra wide zoom lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TareqPhoto, Jun 17, 2014.

1. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Tareq
    Hi all,

This is my first question post in this site as i am new here, hope i enjoy here and get info and help if possible, and i appreciate all posts.

I would like to know what is the best ultra wide zoom lens for full frame camera such as A7R? I would like that lens where many people review about its sharpness center and edge to edge, and i wish if it is wider than f4, say f2.8.

Remember, i asked about a zoom, not a prime, also ignore about the budget, give me or list all the lenses you know that are the best top quality and i can decide later

Thanks

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Right now there isn't an ultra wide FE lens available from Sony, Tareq. Although there will be a 16-35 f/4 coming sometime "mid-year." All other options involve either an A-mount or lens from other camera manufacturers, mounted with an adaptor. My knowledge of those options is very limited, but since money is no object, have you considered a Leica WATE? It's not technically a zoom lens, but...;)

3. TareqPhoto

Jun 16, 2014
    Tareq
    Well, i will not spend that much on this lens, i can go and buy a medium format lens instead at that price, and i am sure i will pay for the name Leica more than quality, i am sure it is insane and out of world quality but not that huge difference than say Zeiss or other brands lenses, Leica is always expensive even for normal lenses, so i will pass this lens and keep looking for that UWA zoom lens, and i am sorry i didn't mention that i accept any manufacturer and not necessary a Sony one, i posted this question here in an adapted lenses, so i don't care about having a Native Sony E-mount lens as long i have the quality.

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Why do you bring up medium format lenses? They won't even come close to the quality of Leica Tri-Elmar lenses on 35mm sensor bodies. Also, you can get it for about half the price mentioned behind the link if you buy it used without the supplied OVF.

Also, just about everybody builds ultra wide zoom lenses, so why not just google them? There's the great Sony Zeiss 16-35, there's Nikon's incredibly well regarded 14-24 2.8, there's Canon's fish-eye UWA zoom and so on ...

5. TareqPhoto

Jun 16, 2014
    Tareq
    I brought medium format lenses not because i want to use medium format lens on 35mm, but because i have a medium format body itself and i know its quality, and you know that it is another class/league over 35mm even Leica itself.

Well,, i knew about Canon and Nikon, but i didn't search or read or look at reviews of another brands or manufacturers, also i thought members here have more experiences on many or all brands, another thing is that English is not my language, when i look at many those tests with analysis and theories and maths i don't read, it is difficult to translate many many words to understand long readings, and you are photographers or love it, so i thought you did the read and understand it as long it is your language and you know what is the best and which is to avoid or pass.