Ultra Wide angle MF lens recommendations?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NickCyprus, Jul 12, 2015.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Not really having the budget for the SEL10-18 f/4 right now (and because I prefer MF) so wondering if there are any ultra wide angle zoom lenses recommendations for the Nex?
    Looking for something in the range of 8mm-19mm or anything between and something cheaper than the SEL10-18...

TIA
    -Nick

2. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    zoom or prime, native or adapted?

3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Zoom and adapted

4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

There's a 10-24mm Tamron that's quite good and a bit more affordable than the SEL1018, a friend of mine likes his copy quite a bit. Since you asked for a zoom lens I won't mention the 12mm Samyang - sharp, fast and excellent bang for the buck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    a prime that wide is just as much, but some of the older wide zooms should be cheaper. i have the samyang and love it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nick - I know you said , you prefer zoom, but if you want a manual focus UWA, you may have to go with a prime. They didn't really make UWA zooms back in the day. So the specs you want, 8mm-19mm, just aren't out there.

I honestly think your best bet is the Rokinon 12mm or wait until the budget allows you to get a used 10-18.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That Tamron isn't much cheaper than the SEL10-18 and if I understand correct its an AF lens.
    Dave, you have the Samyang prime or the zoom 18-28 lens?
    Gary, you're probably right. Looks like they didn't make UWA zooms back in the film days and one I've found doesn't get good reviews...I prefer the flexibility of the zooms so I'll probably wait until I can afford the SEL 10-18

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's a difficult one, hardly any legacy lens for 135 cameras can serve as an APS-C wide-angle zoom, this is one area where your options are practically limited to native glass or adapted APS-C zooms of other mounts. Don't know about the price, but maybe the Sony SAL 11-18mm with a used LA-EA3 adapter is an option?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Senya

Senya TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Minsk, Belarus
    voigtlander 15mm f4.5

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for the reply Ad ;)
    Tnat combo is more expensive on what I can afford at the moment and thus making the price of the SEL10-18 more reasonable.
    However, I should probably mention here now that the reason I want a MF zoom lens is not only because of the (lower) price but also because I prefer the whole process of them compared with the AF native lenses - I don't like the results I got and process involved for my SEL18-105...I'm weird I know :D

Thanks! Looking more for a zoom lens though ;)

11. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    And I wont second that suggestion for the same reason ;) That lens is first on my wishlist and it wont be long.

12. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave

I have the 12mm prime.

13. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I was kind of on the same quest as you, missing the fun I had with a Sigma 10-20mm EX when I shot with Canon EOS.
    But found nothing close to the SEL1018 in vintage zooms. Closest was a Sigma 21-35mm manual focus. But thanks to APS-C, it's too long.
    I think 10-15mm is the UWA sweet spot for the APS-C Sony. I prefer manual focus too, especially how I'd use such a lens. So, the Samyang 12mm is my goal. Must save my change to pick up one. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Well, after understanding that there's no luck with MF ultra wide angle zooms, I'm thinking of a different approach. Here it is and would love to hear some comments:

Since I don't care for autofocus, I'd buy a Sony Alpha/Minolta AF to Nex e-mount "dump" adapter (found a few of the cheap Chinese type on ebay, but I also think Fotodiox also makes one) and perhaps invest in used lenses as the following:
    1) Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX DC or Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 EX DC HSM or Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX Aspherical DG or Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 II DG HSM
    2) Tamron SP AF 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical IF or Tamron SP AF 11-18 f/4.5-5.6 Di-II LD Aspherical IF
    3) Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX and DX-II
    4) Minolta or Sony AF DT 11-18 f/4.5-5.6 D

All which seem to go between 250-350 euros in the used market (half the price of the SEL10-18).

Only think I don't know is how they'd perform when in MF with the adapter...

15. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    In my Nikon days I had the Tokina 11-16mm 1:2.8 for my D200 and D300s. Quite good, built like a tank as usual with Tokina, but fairly big and heavy. Before that I had the Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5.6 which was quite a good performer; I sold it because of inaccurate AF with the D200 but that's not a concern here, I think I have to recommend it. The Sigma 10-20mm 1:3.5 doesn't seem to be really better IIRC. I think I'd forego the Sigma 12-24mm you mentioned, it's big and heavy because it's built for full-frame. Don't know much about the other lenses.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You might want to try and get a used Sony LA-EA3 for a reasonable price after you've established that you like the A-mount lens you're intending to get. I have one and it's sooo much more convenient: setting the aperture on the camera without having to guess and having EXIF data in your files. Still MF of course, but that's OK with you :). I have one and use it on the A7 with a Minolta AF 35-70/4.

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Were I in your situation, I'd hold off until I could afford the 10-18, Nick. It's a brilliant lens, and worth the cost. I bought mine used for a lot less than MSRP, and it served me well while I was still shooting with the NEX-6, and even for a time after I upgraded to the A7. Of course, when the 16-35 came out... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thank you very much Ad!!!

I'll do a little more research on these lenses and I'm sure I''ll report back with even more questions :)

The addition of the LA-EA3 increases the overall cost of what I'd like to be a somehow affordable solution to my UWA needs but its definitely something that I'll look into :)

Thanks David ;)
    Yeah, the SEL10-18 get good reviews but for some strange reason I just don't like the overall experience MFing these lenses and feel more comfortable with legacy lenses...
    The question still remains though - how these AF UWA zooms above, with no aperture ring etc, handle/feel when in MF mode...

• Like Like x 1
  19. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    I had the Tamron 10-24mm when I shot A-mount and I also used it with an adapter on my nex 5t. Wide open it's not impressive, center isn't all that sharp and the edges are a smear. Around f8-f10 it was acceptable. It never felt all that comfortable to me due to the large size and the rather slow aperture I had to shoot at to the results I wanted. I feel it did alright in the middle of it's range. Below are a couple quick examples from just messing around with it one morning, the first was shot at 16mm f8, the second 10mm f10.

Attached Files:

20. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thank you tillman and thanks for the examples!

Sharpness wide open is not an issue for me since I plan to use such lenses for landscape, long exposure mainly, thus I shoot these at f/8-f/16 ;)
    I definitely want a sharp lens and acceptable corners at these apertures though