Ultra high iso comparison nex5 - 5n - 7 and Canon 5DII

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by riccardocovino, Sep 27, 2011.

1. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    From the screenshot below it's quite evident that the 5N has noise comparable to the Canon 5DII, while the Nex7 (A77 but same sensor I expect similar results) has much more and the result is more similar to Nex-5.

This is quite important for me, spending double for having more noise... no good!

Note: the comparison is a screenshot from DPREVIEW fantastic comparison tool.
  2. allofthelights

allofthelights TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    Sure, if your shooting depend on ISO 12800. But high ISO isn't the only measure of IQ. If you want the best high ISO performer, go for 5N over 7. Different cameras for different needs.

I think high ISO noise gets too much attention, compared to other aspects of IS. Sure, it is easy to measure and make comparisons, but most pictures are not taken at these extreme ISO values. Up to 1600 NEX 7 holds the edge, and does alright at 3200 as well.
  3. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    I never used ISO 6400 on my Nex-5, that's not the point.
    In this comparison you have to pick 12800 simply because the scene is well-lit (and it never happens in real life to use High iso on well-lit scenes), so on lower iso there's little or no noise at all.
    But in real life, maybe at dusk or in dark places, the noise comes out much more and at 1600 can already be a problem.
    IS cannot be the solution if the subject is in movement.
    Here is an example, with Nex-5, 1600 ISO, and I cannot consider the noise irrilevant.

4. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Actually, in looking at the RAW images in DPreview, the 24 mp sensor in the A77 starts showing more noise than the 16 mp sensor as low as ISO 800. Bummer. But perhaps the lack of the translucent mirror on the NEX7 will significantly improve the noise levels performance on the NEX7. Keeping fingers crossed.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I have a number of issues with the DPReview comparison you presented: 1) DPR doesn't always give each camera the same amount of light. Some cameras get longer exposures and/or different f-stops than others. 2) You are presenting a JPEG comparison, which doesn't necessarily apply to those of us who shoot RAW. 3) The A77 loses some light to the SLT mirror, so the NEX-7 should perform better than it. 4) There isn't a ton of detail in those crops, and noise always has to be normalized to detail, otherwise the camera with the heavier noise reduction wins. 5) DPR doesn't match the output size of compared crops, so cameras with higher MP counts get penalized in the 100% crop comparisons.

In my own testing of processed 5D II RAW files against 5N files at matched output sizes and found that, as expected based on sensor size, the 5D II files had much better detail relative to noise at high ISO. Here are the data: https://www.talkemount.com/f2/iso-6...-a77-panasonic-g3-gh2-205/index2.html#post895