UK Sony prices jumped up 25%

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Paul, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    I was looking online at WEX, one of the big retailers in the UK, most of the new Sony E mount gear seems to have had a sudden price increase of 25% :crying:
    For example the A6300 was £999 now £1249, the 70-200 f4 was £999 now £1249, the 70-300 was £1099 now £1250, A7R2 was about £2500 now £3000 :eek-30:
    Fortunately I've all the kit I want but these prices will seriously affect Sony sales, I don't know if this is a permanent thing or just because the £ has dropped in value due to Brexit, but not a good time to be buying new E mount gear.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    A quick check here in The Netherlands: the A7R2 went up to € 3599 today from € 3499 a few months ago. Not as drastic, but still. It seems that the yen's exchange rate has gone up lately, especially vs. the British pound since the Brexit vote.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    For the Pound short term, it's mostly a result of Brexit. The Yen has been appreciating against all currencies for about the last year or so. So it's not really a price increase, just currency balancing. It's not all a bad thing depending on where you are. It takes companies a couple of weeks to adjust prices to match currency fluctuations. Historically, currency didn't change that much to matter. Now currencies have wild swings. So if you can catch the swing before the price gets adjusted, then you can get a great deal. Last year when the Euro fell, buying things from Europe in dollars was much cheaper than buying it locally in the US even with shipping. For example, a Sigma DP2M shipped to the US from Amazon Germany/France was about $400. That same camera was about $700 on Amazon US.
  4. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    At this stage, there does not appear to be any significant jump in prices in Melbourne. Although, stock is difficult to get due to the slowdown in production of the Sony Plant in Japan, due to the recent problems they have had over there. So we will gauge the full effect of any price rise when stock starts to flow in Australia.