Uh-Oh, The Zeiss Touit is Acting Strange

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by slothead, Jun 23, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    I just finished using it for a time-lapse, not more than half an hour before, and now it is causing my a5100 to shut off after a few seconds. I tried the kit lens (16-50) on the a5100 and it works fine. I also tried the Zeiss Touit on my a6000 and it makes it shut off too (while other lenses don't). I'm convinced that it is something in the Zeiss Touit. I also noticed that it makes a strange buzzing noise as power is applied to the camera (either the a5100 or the a6000). The time the camera stays on is almost random, anywhere from a couple seconds to maybe 10 seconds (but never much longer than that).

Has anyone had this problem with this camera lens combo? And does anyone have any ideas of any tricks to cure it. If not, back to B&H it goes. It's just a little over a month old so it has to still be under warranty.
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I haven't seen this before, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Sounds like the camera is protecting itself, maybe from a short circuit? Could it have got wet?

If so, I would try leaving the lens overnight in a sealed Tupperware container full of rice. Is that crazy?
  3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Cool, I think it's worth a try at least. Let us know if it works.