U.S. Pro Cup Beach Soccer: a9+135 Art

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
Back at it again, this time with an e-mount Sigma 135 Art on the Sony a9.

Shot wide open at f/1.8, iso100, 1/8000th-1/10000th shutter speed. Back-button AF-C, wide focus area, floating the shutter speed, with fixed aperture and iso, firmware 5.0.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A lot more photos here: U.S. Pro Cup Beach Soccer Photos 2019

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
Thx guys, i shot it wide open at f/1.8 in order to blow the background out as much as possible. The a9 really delivers the goods, but I ended up not using the 5.0 update tracking features, the action was just too fast to manually set a focus box on a player.

Beach soccer is played on a much smaller field than regular soccer, and it's a high-scoring affair, with a lot more bicycle kicks. It's a shooters dream, at least at this Pro level.

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
I think that the player has his jersey on wrong-side out in that last shot, it is a bit disconcerting.

I frame most edits to match my monitor dimensions, in this case 2560x1440. It doesn't work at all for some of these pics, like this shot below, where I didn't have the camera panned over far enough; it's basically a reject that I liked too much to toss, but it would have worked much better with the proper crop.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I understand about blowing out the background, I'm amazed at the DOF at 1.8.

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
I think that it's because cropping and viewing size can change the appearance of dof.

Which begs the question, what did I really gain with a prime that's shot at f/1.8, if it's cropped by 40-50%? Pixel count and total light gets knocked down pretty hard with aggressive cropping.

The pics in this thread weren't cropped that hard, but it was still enough to affect the appearance of the dof.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom