• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

U.S. Open of Surfing 2019

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
Pics from the 2019 U.S. Open of Surfing, Huntington Beach CA. The sunglasses photo was shot at the Supergirl Pro.

Sony a9/mc-11/Sigma 60-600, shot wide open, up to 1/2500th

YagoDorafrontsideairreversesurfing USOpen2019.jpg
   ---            

Surfer Jack Freestone, surfing the US Open 2019.jpg
   ---            

BacksideairfromYagoDora2019USOpensurfingcontest.jpg
   ---            

Tatiana WestonWebb surfing US Open 2019.jpg
   ---            
GettingreadyforaheatatUSOpenofSurfing.jpg
   ---            

SpectatorandhisdogUSOpenofsurfing2019.jpg
   ---            

Supergirl Pro 2019 photo.jpg
   ---            

A lot more surf pics here:

Surfing photos from Vans US Open 2019 shot with Sony a9

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
It reminded me of this :D

hmv.jpg
   ---            

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
GREAT CAPTURES... I have used the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii lens on a Canon 7D2 to shoot surfing, the Super Girl Contest at Oceanside, CA... These are some better captures than mine. I think that it is a combination of a good photographer, longer lens, the A9, plus better surfers and surfing conditions...

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
Awesome shots! The A9 with the Sigma looks like a great combo.

Thanks, it worked well with real-time tracking, think focus/recompose on steroids, it sticks on target regardless of what objects wander into the scene, per the pic below, even tho it's adapted. Of course wide area tracking always did that on the a9, even before the r/t tracking update, such an amazing camera.

I would have rather rented the Sony 200-600, but it's still not available. I did see a couple of FE400/1.4tc combos there, and in the shot of Sage Erickson running on the beach, the guy with the Sony camera strap was shooting with two Sony bodies. He was credentialed, with an official shirt, so he probably worked for the sanctioning body. Point being, this is the biggest pro surf contest in the continental U.S., and people were using Sony to shoot it, it's not just a CaNikon sports world out there :D

DSC04852forpostingtoNet.jpg
   ---            

SageEricksonUSOpen.jpg
   ---            

DSC05759FE400.jpg
   ---            
DSC06672FE400.jpg
   ---            

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
GREAT CAPTURES... I have used the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii lens on a Canon 7D2 to shoot surfing, the Super Girl Contest at Oceanside, CA... These are some better captures than mine. I think that it is a combination of a good photographer, longer lens, the A9, plus better surfers and surfing conditions...

Thanks, a bit of raw file massaging in PS helped as well :D That 100-400 lens is pretty sharp, in fact one of the freelancers at this event was using it. The WSL pays him to shoot the North American events, so I guess they fly him out to Hawaii and the East Coast. Not a bad gig, huh?

Come up to this U.S. Open event next year, it's better for shorter lenses, because people are surfing the inside reform.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Nice shots! How well does the MC-11 adapter play with some of the Sigma telephoto lenses? Though I'm trying to avoid adapting glass nowadays, but these results look excellent!

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
That camera/lens combo must make it a lot easier than the way I did it last year.
Nice timing on those shots.
As we all know, timing is everything, well, after focus that is.

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
mc-11 and supported Sigma glass is the way to go for adapted, it'll look like native lenses to the a7 series bodies, so you should be able to get the maximum native af-c framerate.

YMMV on old Sigma lenses, and Canon glass on the mc-11 will be limited to about 2.5fps af-c on the a7 series, including the a7riv.

Latest threads

Top Bottom