• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Two Questions; Maybe Three

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
How many of us use a simple point-and-shoot for snaps and reserve the more expensive Sony-As for serious or arty stuff? Pourquoi?

How many of us use a 4/3 format rig, in addition to our Sony rigs? Aussi pourqoui?

Just curious...

Last edited:

Jeep Captain

TalkEmount Regular
Most if not all of my "snaps" are done with my cell phone. I have a Sony a7II for low light and any serious stuff. I also have a Sony a6300 for less serious stuff or where I need a little more reach via the crop sensor. With that said, I ALSO have a Nikon AW130 for beach, pool, underwater, rain and/or whenever there's a possibility of water around.

I'm a one-system guy: I have Sony FF gear, the A7Rm4 is my main camera and I have an old A7 that I only use in my table-top studio. I've had periods in which I had two systems but those overlaps only lasted for a short time because I invariably appeared to use only one system.

I tinkered many times with the thought of buying an additional fixed-lens camera for the times I don't want to carry my main camera but I remembered what happened when I did that in the film days: that extra camera was just lying in a drawer. I once had the wonderful Olympus 35SP alongside my Nikon F3 outfit: I shot one slide film with it and kept 2 images of that film. The camera just didn't deliver the same image quality as I was used to with the Nikon gear so it wasn't used.

These experiences from the past prevented me from buying a digital Leica M because its limited functionality would preclude it from being my one and only camera system. And I didn't buy a Fuji X100F because I would have had enough reasons not to use it; for the same reasons I won't go for the Fuji X100V.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I do very occasionally use my cell phone. Otherwise everything is on whatever Sony body I have. Even when I buy a new body, I have tried keeping the previous body around, but find I never use it.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm using most of what I have available this morning...
IMG_0153.JPG
Canon PowerShot SD1000       6mm    f/2.8    1/60s    ISO 200
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0155.JPG

I still haven't gotten used to considering my cell phone as a camera. DOH!

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
My A7RII is my only "real" camera. But my iPhone 11 Pro is the one camera I have with me almost all of the time, and I'm constantly amazed at the quality of its output. I owned a Sony RX100 for a while, but the iPhone made it superfluous. So off to eBay it went.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Will always try to take my full frame A7II with me if off to take photos. If it must be lighter and compact, I pack the a6000.
I have a Sony HX9V and my old Canon SD790 IS point-n-shoots when I absolutely can't pack an MILC w/lenses. I don't care for the results from my cellphone and I'm not spending money to simply upgrade a phone for the camera. The pace of obsolescence of phones is too great to warrant its camera as a requisite. (IMHO)

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Just to show I'm a multi-talented type of guy and can use a phone camera too.
Here's my 'studio' this morning...all processed while listening to the Eagles Good By to Melbourne show.

---            
   ---            

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Read all above and agree, with all.

Guess me just a hobby-boy...I like small, except when shooting.

I go out, I grab a waterproof wee p&s and stuff it in pocket of jacket- Panasonic have had for years- even though A6300 rig is in car...hate my phone and its camera...really.

But, everytime I have a arty-shot, it is gone by the time I get the 63 out, so I snap the p&s.

Gee, some of you are really into studio work...amazing and nifty...I more or less slum around lurking for pics.

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
How many of us use a simple point-and-shoot for snaps and reserve the more expensive Sony-As for serious or arty stuff? Pourquoi?

How many of us use a 4/3 format rig, in addition to our Sony rigs? Aussi pourqoui?

Just curious...
I am fortunate to have several cameras. Some are for specific uses like Infrared, but I have an A7RII, and A6300, and an RX100-3. The RX stays in my glove compartment for any potential Encounters of the Third Kind. I use the A7RII for 58% of my photography, the Infrareds for 40%, and the A6300 for travels far from home. With that said, I have returned from trips never feeling that I was under-gunned with the ASP-C. It takes wonderful photos beyond my personal abilities. If I had to choose one camera only, it would be the A6300. I love my A7RII and I honestly don't foresee any upgrading in the future, long and short term. It is a wonderful tool. I am not, nor will ever be a "professional". I like to play and experiment. It's a hobby. I have no delusions. The cameras are just tools. I have 10-year-old photos taken with an 8mp Olympus that look just fine, and those were processed with really old technology. Did the better camera make me a better photog? Nope. It did provide more play room and more opportunities. So my advice is.....run what ya brung.

When an opportunity presents itself, an "inferior" point n' shoot in your hand is far better than a $9,000 Leica in your bedroom drawer.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I would say that I have only one camera, but it wouldn't be actually true. I still have the a6000, but only because I've been too lazy to sell it since getting the a6500. Just once, for a small family function, I used both cameras, one for video and one for stills. (Full disclosure: ok, there are a couple of other disused cameras around the house)

Phone photos are strictly limited to memo-taking, snapshots when out without the camera, and gotta-get-that-cat-pose-before-she-moves. I dislike the ergonomics and experience of phone photography. My phone is not high-end, and neither is its camera, and, whereas I wouldn't mind having a better the-one-you-have-with-you, that amount of money would be spent on a lens, not a new phone.

So, I'm a single-camera user. It isn't full-frame, so there isn't even a vacancy for the something-lighter option. Although, if someone gave me an RX100, I wouldn't throw it away :laugh1:

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I have a lot of cameras. I try to rotate through them regularly, but they also have specific roles.
A7Rii - My true companion, she does landscapes and portraits and astro and anything I might want to make a print of.
A6500 - I mostly use her for wildlife, with various adapted long lenses. Also video.
Fuji X-T2 - My side chick. I actually prefer her for APS-C, but don't have a long lens yet. I take her when I want to do landscapes but don't want to carry a lot of gear.
Pentax Q - Fun pocket powerhouse.
Panasonic GM1 - Got this as a cheap entry into micro 4/3. Takes surprisingly good pics.
Fuji X70 - Amazing pocket street camera. Also filled in on a waterfalls trip up north while my A7Rii was drying out in a tub of rice.
Olympus TG-4 - Indestructible pocket camera with GPS. Can shoot underwater. I take her on canoe trips.

And I have my phone, an iPhone 7. But I don't like the pics from that, hence 4 pocket cameras.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
I tend to be a one camera guy. I always feel embarrassed when I claim that I have no camera with me and people laugh at me and point to my phone. I never think a phone can take pictures.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
... ... ... I never think a phone can take pictures.
And I never think that a camera can take video!

Come to think of it, I have a video camera. I suspect it still works, too, although I haven't checked for a few years. It was, sadly, the least used of any of my handful of cameras. I am just not enthusiastic about video.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Again. Me like Ted, with fewer machines...camera on seat or coat pocket and in bag...have missed too many shots digging out main gear or debating, so I just shoot first...then hit the bag for the 6300.

Sorry, do not get here sooner, but do not seem to know when comments hit.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I tend to be a one camera guy. I always feel embarrassed when I claim that I have no camera with me and people laugh at me and point to my phone. I never think a phone can take pictures.
Chalk... me too think so, phones are phones...

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Been shooting with (mostly) Olympus since 2012, Sony just 18 months. Use the Sony for mostly portraits, due to the excellent Eye AF, and airshows/wildlife/action with the 100-400 GM. Love the compactness of the lenses in the 4/3 system and I just this week received a new EM1 MkIII to replace my 2013 EM1 and G9. The Oly has many interesting features that I will use like the hand held Hi Res shot, Starry Sky AF, live capture, in-camera focus stacking, and MUCH better IBIS. My Sony A73 IBIS is maybe 1-1/2 real stops where my old EM1 is about 3, the new one is at least 5 real stops. The Sony will be used for my portrait work but the Olympus will be my travel and adventure camera.

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
My A6400 and A6600 cameras are small rigs. I really like the 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 G OSS lens on an APSC camera. Gives me "almost" the capability that I had with my Canon 7Dii camera and 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii lens at about 1/3 the weight and half the price... It's hard to believe that the little A6xxx cameras have the same format size as the far larger Canon 7D Mark ii... The A6xxx cameras and the relatively small and inexpensive Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS lens are very nice portrait setups also...
ILCE-6400    E 50mm F1.8 OSS    50mm    f/2.8    1/160s    ISO 100

Top Bottom