Two of the Zeiss primes coming in may

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Poki, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's what Fuji said. The 32mm 1.8 and the 12mm 2.8 should be released in may for a price tag of about €1000. What do you think? Do you want them? I certainly am going to buy the 12mm one.

The 50mm macro is sheduled for autumn.

2. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    The 12mm does sound intriguing—but only if they've designed it as a landscape lens, not just a ultrawide with "character" (i.e., optically imperfect, not especially suited for landscapes).

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Sigma 30mm and Samyang 14mm are good enough for me. The 50mm macro is really tempting but I will wait till somebody makes some tests.

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Zeiss already makes great wide angle lenses, so I have high hopes for this one.

@xXx1: The Sigmas are too slow for me for their focal length. The Samyang is damn huge, not that cheap and optically far from very good.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I want them all and yet I might have a hard time justifying any.

I've been waiting for the right extra-wide solution. 12mm is actually wider than I was wanting but I'm still very intrigued.

The 32mm is very tempting - likely the sexiest dedicated "normal" prime solution. Alas, "normal" isn't my top priority. (35mm equivalent is - that's why I went ahead and got the SEL24.) If normal were my priority, for more BOKEH at moderate distances I would have to seriously consider a Canon 5D & 50/1.8 for less money.

The 50mm macro is what I could & would use the most. I already use a few excellent macro lenses - Micro-Nikkor 55 & 105mm and Leitz 60mm. AF and that punchy Zeiss look would come in handy sometimes. Maybe not quite $1100 handy, though.

I hope they all do well, but this is a bit of a lean year for me - I might just to check them out from the sidelines.

6. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    The 12 is on top of my list since the first rumors... and I didn't have a nex at the time.

7. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I'm curious about the 50, might just be interested based on my experience of the 24.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I feel exactly the same about it. I'd have preferred 13mm or 14mm, but 12 is close enough. If it's optically excellent, meaning critically sharp from edge to edge at f/5.6, I don't think I'll be able to resist and I might end up selling my Sony 10-18mm to finance it.

32mm? Nah. The Sigma 30mm is already a bit long for me, although to my own surprise I use it a lot. 50mm macro? Also too short and macro is something for which I use MF lenses, don't feel the need for AF.

What I like about them, is the lack of Sony branding. Sony lenses and I don't go well together lately.:mad:

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Bad thing about the non-Sony-branding could be lacking firmware support for new features in coming cameras ...

Whatever, 12mm is exactly what I want, and if it doesn't vignette more than half a stop wide open, I'll buy the first they produce if possible! As for the 50mm macro - I am interested, but (luckily?) I've got some more time to think about it.

I may just spend some money on a proper camera bag and tripod then ... Anybody tried the Rollei X4i?

10. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    32mm f/1.8, very interesting,sounds very good, with his competitor Sony 35mm f/1.8, I'm very interested, CZ lenses are excellents so there will be problems as their competitor, so the prices will be very competitive, maybe the 24mm f/1.8 could fall and then I can attack now.
    I'm happy with the Sigma 30, works very good, but with out OSS and the max aperture at f/1.8 is a big difference, but the price is very good.

11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    These prices are insane...1.8 isn't that fast, and 2.8 is downright slow for a short prime. Definitely not going to bother with these...

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    WTF?? There are no 'short' 12 mm primes that are faster than the Zeiss ..
    Mand 1.8 is exactly right. This allows the lens to be somewhat small, with excellent quality while yet being competitively priced (Yep, €1000 is very competitive imho). These 2/3rd of a stop to f/1.4 aren't a must with current camera sensors high ISO performance.

13. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    For some people (like me), the light gathering advantages are sometimes secondary to the lens's bokeh abilities due to its maximum aperture. For example, my 16-35L is a 2.8, because I need the fast aperture, as I often use it in dimly-lit churches and other buildings. If I have enough light, I always stop down to around f5.6-f7.1 for best results...f2.8 is only use when needed.

However, my 135L f2 gets used at f2 regardless of the lighting situation (often forcing shutter speeds of 1/2000s or faster) because I bought that lens mainly for the bokeh. I know the 12mm will never be a bokeh monster, but the 32mm at f1.4, for example, could be a lot of fun to play with.

I'm just kind of disappointed that I'm not seeing any lenses faster than 1.8 being introduced for Sony (and even at that, there are only 2 1.8s and a plethora of 2.8s), but these lenses are getting introduced at pretty hefty price tags.

I'm sure the lenses will be exceptional performers, as Zeiss stuff has been for decades...I'm just a little disappointed that they're not cheaper or faster.

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You say the 12mm is bad because it's just as fast as your L lens? I understand you want bokeh - but a uwa lens on an APS-C body is obviously the wrong choice for that.

But I agree, a few 1.4 and 1.2 lenses would be nice for sure.

15. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    No, my real beef is with the 32mm (and, more than that, E-mount lenses in general...I know that being a newbie on here and a non-NEX owner, I may come across negative, but honestly, I'm really not trying to be a hater, I absolutely LOVE the NEX bodies, but the lenses disappoint me time and time again)...I don't agree, by the way, that they're "competitively priced." If Fuji can make a superb 35 1.4 for $600, why is Sony charging MORE THAN TWICE as much for glass that's 2/3 of a stop slower? (As I've said, I'm sure the glass will be of high quality, but I doubt it'll be significantly better than the Fuji - if it will be better at all - for significantly higher price). $600 for a 35 1.4? Take my money, NOW! $1,400 for a 32 1.8? Little ridiculous. Also, 35mm is roughly 50mm in FF terms...Zeiss makes a 50mm f1.4 (touted as one of the best, if not THE best lens available on the market for DSLRs today, albeit MF) that's $725...HALF of what this lens is.

16. radimere

Apr 2, 2013
    I have reservations about investing in high-end E-mount lenses—at this point I'm skeptical about the long-term survival of the system. It's a highly competitive market, and Sony isn't winning battles on the price/quality front. As a company, Sony is too scattershot to inspire confidence. It's a corporate giant that can survive even if it kills off E-mount still cameras and concentrates on A-mount/video. If things had been more promising, I'd have sold my SLR a long time ago. Right now I'm getting by with the affordable E-mount lenses so as to minimize losses and heartbreak down the road.

17. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It's not actually Sony that is issuing the 32mm - it's Zeiss, and they're also issuing it for the Fuji system. One does have to wonder how many Fuji X system users will go for that, but you just never know. Zeiss also offers expensive primes for Nikon & Canon's DSLRs and they seem to have their place in the market, and those lenses don't even support autofocus!

IME the real-world difference between 1.8 and 1.4 can be pretty hard to spot, so I don't get too worked up about it in terms of availability in the e-mount system. As I said earlier, if shallow focus at moderate distances were a big priority, full-frame would make a lot more sense.

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, as they will offer these lenses for the X-Mount too, where Fuji already has a 14mm 2.8, a 35mm 1.4 and a 60mm 2.8 macro which are all quite good, Zeiss must have quite a bit of believing that their lenses are actually better and worth more than the Fuji ones.

@radimere: Killing off E-Mount would be just as stupid as killing A-Mount now. And the same also could be said about any other mirrorless system currently. The point is - you want high quality bodies with high quality lenses and all this in a smaller, lighter package than in a SLR? Well, then mirrorless is your only option. There's no point in speculating about the value these lenses will have in an unknown future - I buy them to use them now, I buy them to use them in the years to come, and when the E-Mount dies in fifty years, well, I had fifty years of fun I wouldn't have had otherwise.

19. radimere

Apr 2, 2013
    LOL. I don't have a problem with 50 years at all. I'd be dead by then, or at best unable to use a camera. It's the next 10 years I'm afraid of. Until then I'll keep a backup system.

20. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    10 years? I'm pretty sure NEX is still around then. Well, at least if Sony is still around them ...