1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Two model shots

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Vincepad, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    The first was shot today. Amanda was modeling for my ongoing series of surreal portraits, and as always, I shot some photos that she could use for her own portfolio. We had pro hair and makeup, which I try to supply whenever I'm shooting for a model's portfolio. Steph, our hair and makeup person is one of my favorite people to work with. She's good, she's fast, and she's really good at connecting with the models I shoot. Amanda is a model that I really enjoy working with. Her day job (well, actually her night job - she works overnights) is as a registered nurse in a local Neonatal ICU.

This shot was with an a7 and a Sony FE 70-200 f/4G. It was lit with a 48-inch octobox with an eggcrate grid as the main light and a 24-inch softbox providing rim light from behind.

[​IMG]

I shot the model for this shot a few weeks ago. Her image here is actually a composite of five different shots (feet, mid torso, head, arm, and hair). The rope was in the original photo of the model, but the final rope in the image is composited from three different rope pictures. The model and the landscape was shot with an a7 and a Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. The mockingbird is a stock image. The model was shot in my studio lit by two monolights bounced off of a studio wall (she was actually standing vertically, so we bounced the light off of the wall so it would look like she was lit from above when I rotated her body from vertical to horizontal in Photoshop.

(I hope somebody finds the setup information useful! I don't mind sharing, and maybe it will help somebody trying to figure out this stuff. I wish there had been more resources when I was - and still am - learning.)

This shot had its genesis in an ongoing conversation I'm having with a number of people about living with clinical depression.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Thanks for sharing, the second picture does speak to me, maybe something like a beautiful thing even if small and insignificant can help carry you when you cant carry yourself. Will bookmark this might help me on the off days.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done.

• Like Like x 1