1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Two lenses question

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Feb 23, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi there,
    1. do you know if there are any news when the new short prime tele will be released from sony?
    2. Any reviews on the SEL50 (what is your opinion anyhow). Any decent teleconverters for the SEL50 lens? It might be funny to convert it to 85mm or 75mm for example

Regards
    Alex

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    1. I think your guess is as good as anyone's, Alex. No one, not even SAR, can do more than speculate at this point.

2. I just did a quick Google search on "SEL50 review" and got a bunch of hits. But here's one from photozone.de:

http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/720-sony50f18nex

I don't know of any teleconverter for that lens. But I bet it would be cheaper, and give you better results, if you just bought an inexpensive legacy 75 or 85mm lens instead.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    For the 2 it would be cheaper if I can get a second hand SEL50 and then some teleconverter. Reason is to have OSS and being able to reduce shutter speed.

4. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    For a teleconverter to support AF and OSS, it's going to be very expensive. With a dumb teleconverter, you would have to use the SEL50 wide open, no fun (or fun if you like that). And there's always going to be loss of quality with TC.

I'd just get an adapted 55 ~ 58mm if you're on a budget, which is 85mm equivalent field of view. Or 85mm, 100mm, or a vivitar 70-150mm/3.8.

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    SEL 50 does not look as good as the sigma 60.... with the sigma 60 having no OSS support...
    so a bit confused here.
    Can someone explain when OSS is handy to have and under which conditions does not help at all? Would it freeze easier a moving child or not?

Regards
    A

6. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    For # 2, you could try using a screw on teleconverter like the Sony VCL-HD1758 or the Olympus TCON 17/B-300. Both screw on to the end of your lens using the filter threads. You will probably need a step up ring as most of theses are 55mm or 58mm filter thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41369279

Check out the above link. Most people use these teleconverters for the SEL 55-210 to give a little extra reach. I have the Olympus B-300 1.7x teleconverter. It works OK with the 55-210 but have not tried it on other lenses. You will lose very little light using this approach (maybe 1/3 stop) so you pretty much retain speed advantage of the lens. It only works for me in the longer focal lengths without it starting to black out part of the frame but this is probably because of the nature of the 55-210 lens. If you can pick one up for cheap, it might be worth a try. I'd use it stopped down a bit as it will amplify any CA the lens will have wide open. In addition, autofocus will also be slower.

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Per SAR, 90mm g macro prime will be coming, but it had low rating due to the source was from China. According to Sony plan, there will be 1 new wide zoom (FF-16-35?), 2 new primes (FF) and 2 more lenses (FF) this year.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No, it would not freeze a moving child. It's only of any use when shooting static subjects. Though some stabilization system allow you to disengage side-to-side stabilization to track steadily-moving objects such as racing cars, etc. I'm not sure it would be of any help with erratic children.

9. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    1. Nobody knows what Sony is planning. There is no lens road map from Sony. Everything you see online on 'rumour' sites is gossip and guesswork. No doubt Sony will at some point produce a lens in this category, but there is no information on when. The bigger issue is whether they will ever produce one specifically for E rather than FE mount. Sony clearly needs to fill out the FE mount range and the advantage for the company is that since FE mount lenses will also produce an image on the whole of the APSC sensor but an E mount lens will not cover the whole of a 35mm sensor it is easier for them to concentrate on FE mount lenses. Unfortunately for E mount users this means lenses will be in focal lengths determined by the needs of 35mm which may or may not be suitable for APSC. They will also generally be heavier, larger and more expensive. (This incidentally is what Nikon does. There are only a small number of DX lenses compared to the number of FX lenses. Of the roughly 80 lenses listed on the Nikon webiste only 17 are DX.)

2. I have the 50 and it's a good lens. It's also cheaper now than when I bought it. Kurt Munger has a review at http://kurtmunger.com/sony_nex_50mm_f_1_8id320.html. I have the Sigma 19 and 30 and both are excellent. Though I haven't used the 60 the information I have seen suggests that it is as good as the other Sigmas. Munger also has a review of the Sigma at http://kurtmunger.com/sigma_nex_60mm_f_2_8id347.html. When I got the 50 the 60 wasn't available but given the choice I would still go with the 50. While the 60 may be marginally better optically the 50 is more than good enough (far better than any available zoom). I prefer the focal length since 60, for me,is getting a little too long, and the OSS (which works very well) and faster maximum aperture are useful indoors or when the light starts to fall.

Regarding OSS, this and all stabilization systems work to correct blur caused by camera movement. They have no effect on movement outside the camera. In fact, since what they are doing is enabling you to shoot hand held at slower shutter speeds your moving child would be even more blurred. Your only options are to use much faster shutter speeds (where you don't need OSS) or bribe the kid to stay still:)