Two lens combo for the A7III. Tamron 28-75 f2.8 + Sony 24 - 240 ?

Which 2 lens combo would you prefer for travelling

• Tamron 28-75 f2.8 + Sony 24-240

• Tamron 17-28 f2.8 + Tamron 28-75 f2.8

• Sony 16-35 f2.8 + Sony 24-105 f4 G

• Sony 24-105 f4 G will do it all for me

• a medium tele prime + Sony 24-105 f4

• a normal prime + 24-105 f4

• a wide prime + 24-105 f4

• Samyang 14 f2.8 + 24-105 f4

• Sony 24-105 f4 + Sony 70-300

Results are only viewable after voting.

anupaml

New to TalkEmount
I am thinking of getting the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 first for the A7III and the coupling it with the Sony 24-240. I've read that the 10x zoom has same or at times better IQ than the Zeiss 24-70 f4 at equivalent apertures. Plus its great for travel and doubles as a wildlife lens without having to change lenses (exactly what you might want to avoid when that bird is passing by, and I've read that its AF system capable of focusing BIF). The tamron is great for background blur, IQ, night and macro.

Who else had considered this as a two lens combo?
There is also a possibility of another lens combo the upcoming Tamron 17-20 f2.8 + tamron 28-75 f2.8. Some might want to consider this too. :)

ionian

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Simon
Of course this is personal preference but I wouldn't want to carry two overlapping zooms myself. But then my style would probably let the bird fly overhead unphotographed anyway!

When travelling I believe in making images that fit with the focal lenses at my disposal. I shoot primes and I'll look for compositions that work within these parameters. I don't believe in missing shots - a quick snap of something opportunistic is unlikely to be a great photo at any photo length,at least not without a healthy dollop of luck.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Of the options you have, I voted for the pair of Tamrons for the 2.8, in fact I plan on eventually acquiring the 28-75 for those times I want no-fuss AF shooting like family events. But questions like these invariably have too many possibilities to fully enumerate in a poll. And it very much depends on what sort of photos you want to capture.

I might take a zoom if I owned one, but would more likely take 2-3 primes. I used just my Voigtlander 40/1.2 (or 1.2/40) on a business trip last fall, stitched a few times when I wanted wider, and it worked great for that sort of trip. Oh, and that's manual focus, too. Certainly not everybody's cup of tea, and you should use whatever works best for you.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm generally not picky about lenses, but the 24-240mm FE lens I tried just wasn't acceptable in regards to image quality. The kit 28-70mm was sharper to my eye than the super zoom. Also the lenses you choose is dependent on where you plan to travel. In a dense urban center you will definitely want a wider zoom or if you plan to travel to somewhere more rural you might want more zoom reach. The 24-105mm might be the best lens option for travel paired with the 50mm 1.8 for low light.

As for me, 24-105 is neither here or there for me. I have a big trip coming up and I've opted to bring the 16-35/4, 50/1.8 and 70-200/4 lenses plus a handful of MF primes! Come to think about it, maybe I should just get the 24-105! :D

Last edited:

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
If you're a pixel peeper, no lens is acceptable. :rofl:

These days I would do the 24-70/f4 and the 70-300g. In the past I would have taken the 24-240, which is still a valid option.

You may even want to consider some primes. The 55/1.8 and 28/2 are both excellent and affordable, and lighter than any of the zooms.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I shoot with a pair of Sony APSC cameras (A6500 and A6400). So with a pair of different focal length lenses, I have maximum versatility. I have a Sony 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens which paired with the 30mm Sigma f/1.4 makes a nice combination. I will also carry a Rokinon 12mm f/2 lens for when I need a wider angle glass...
However, when traveling, the kit I will be taking is the Sony 85mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 as well as the 30mm f/1.4. The entire kit including a Godox 350S flash weighs less than five pounds and fits in a small camera bag.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Everything I have read about the 24-105 says it is a wonderful travel lens, the proverbial "bag of primes", but the F4 makes me hesitate.
I would have thought the same way, until I got my A7iii. Its low light performance is way ahead of what my A7ii is capable of. I don't think I'll be afraid to get an F4 lens with the iii.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I would have thought the same way, until I got my A7iii. Its low light performance is way ahead of what my A7ii is capable of. I don't think I'll be afraid to get an F4 lens with the iii.
Which is cool, but then I'd have to buy an A7iii. :whistling:

I did recently (like last week) pick up the Tamron 28-75/2.8. Seems to be pretty good, but I still need to give it a thorough workout.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
I only shoot landscapes when I'm chasing birds and something demands my attention. For that I got the 24-105.
The technical IQ is impressive.
I had some doubts about the WA end as a scan of my landscapes from a time when it was my main interest showed the most common focal length was around 18mm. And yes, I am feeling the limitation.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom