• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

twin towers memorial

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Back in September (the 11th to be exact) this memorial was unveiled in Kennewick, WA. Having traveled 2714 miles from ground zero it now pays respect to those souls that lost their lives at the World Trade Center on 9/11.

It consists of a section of the steel beam system that made up the skeleton of one of the towers, topped by a flag pole.

5n w/18-55 kit lens.
twin_t120608_02.jpg
NEX-5N    E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS    22mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    ISO 100

I intended to shoot a whole series of shots from all angles. Unfortunately the maintenace guys were spreading recycled grass (cow flop) with a tractor drawn broadcast spreader. As you can see from the flag the wind was blowing pretty good. The memorial is downwind of the fertilizer pile. I got 2 shots and they asked me to move my car so they could get to the pile. So I did. By the time they got done the clouds had moved and the subject was in very harsh direct light instead of the nicely diffused light seen here.

So, I'll have to go back another day. It's an interesting piece and worthy of a re-shoot.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim

Ray Vardy

TalkEmount Regular
I like this photo a lot, I Think the scene would speak to me slightly differently though if perhaps it was set on a different surface surrounding rather than grass.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
I like this photo a lot, I Think the scene would speak to me slightly differently though if perhaps it was set on a different surface surrounding rather than grass.

Thank you, and you're probably right. I think the basalt columns were a nod toward that. But, since we live in a semi-arid climate we tend to use any excuse we can find to plant grass. ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom