1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

turn of shutter sound in NEX 5R?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bopfan, Oct 15, 2013.

1. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    just what it said. Can you turn off the shutter sound in a Sony NEX 5R. I would like the option of shooting with out a sound. How to do it?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The shutter on NEX cameras is a "real" shutter, and the sound is mechanical, not electronic. So you can't turn it off. I know that there's been some discussion on other boards about an additional electronic sound. But I'm unconvinced about that. Bottom line: you can't turn the shutter sound off.

3. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    Aha! Thanks. I just assumed I was hearing a created shutter sound. I appreciate the correction. It never seemed loud until the other day when i was shooting a very intimate jazz performance. I was about 7 feet from the alto sax player. Maybe it was my imagination but it seems like every time the shutter fired he heard it and I cringed. I went through the menu and found nothing about how to turn the shutter sound off. And for good reason!

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yup, does not seem that bad till you take a picture during a prayer at a funeral.

Talk about some dirty looks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    ... just use ears plugs... :D