Tubes?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Ray Vardy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    These are non-optical extension tubes for macro photography and will work on E-mount lenses including the prime Sigmas. Extension tubes are usually used in conjunction with prime lenses. Although they will also work with zooms, it's seldom done because zooms have more inherent optical compromises than prime lenses.

These Kenkos (I've not used them) appear to preserve the electrical connectivity of NEX-native lenses so that auto-focus and electronic aperture control will continue to function. You can use just one 10mm or 16mm or piggyback them together for a 26mm extension to get really close. Be aware that with these tubes on, the parent lens will not be able to focus to infinity so it becomes a strictly macro-only affair.

They appear to be well made and are a good way to get really close macros (if that's your interest in photography), but are too pricey IMO for what they are. I suppose if you really need auto-focus capability during macro shoots then they might be worth it, but ultra up-close macro sessions will be tripod-mounted and seldom require auto-focusing.

For that amount of coin, I would consider a proper manual focus macro legacy lens. Proper macro lenses have the added advantage of being designed specifically for "flatness of field" so should you macro flat objects (like coins or postage stamps), you won't get blurry corners on the photo. They will also focus all the way to infinity.

My 2 cents...

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I have not used them either, and agree that it's an extremely high price to pay for the tubes. Tubes are supposed to be a "cheap" way of performing macro work when you can't afford a real macro lens. That price definitely ain't cheap!

The only advantage of passing the electronics through are AF and aperture control. Since the tubes cause a loss of light, AF may not be possible. And DoF will be razor thin at narrow apertures, and just merely thin if you can stop down.

There are (much cheaper) tubes that will not pass the electronics through, and you can still use MF there, but lose the aperture control for native E-mount lenses. So they wouldn't work well if all you have is an E-mount lens.

If you have a manual ("legacy") lens, you could go with the cheaper non-electronic tubes and try it out. But I don't think I'd purchase these unless you were trying to double the magnification of the 30mm macro lens. Let's see, 16+10=26, so it wouldn't quite turn the 30mm macro from a 1:1 lens into a 2x lens. Looks more like 1.87:1 if I did the math right.

4. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Thank both, I guess at ths stage of my photographic evolution there are other more important items than tubes..