1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

TTL flashes for nex

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Nov 14, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    do we have any TTL flashes for a6000 and nex-7 that would not break the bank and they have a tiltable head?

Regards
    Alex

2. adbemy

adbemy New to TalkEmount

Nov 14, 2014
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi Alex,

a6000 and Nex-7 have different flash hot shoes. To use a flash for both cameras you need at least one adapter (Sony ADP-AMA or ADP-MAA).
    I can recommend the Sony HFL-F20AM (can bounce) for the "old" Sony/Minolta accessory shoe and the Nissan i40 (can be tilted and rotated, used as slave; very versatile, compact) very for the new one.

Best
    Bert

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I have a brandnew Nissin and I really LOVE it!!!
    Perfect size for my @6000 and so powerful for it's size.
    But as said before only available for the new multi interface shoe, not for the "old" Sony shoe.

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    thanks!! can you describe how the TTL works on sony body? How do you configure it? How much did you pay for it?
    Alex

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For Sony's eTTL system (which is built upon Sony's ADI system) you need at least a flash on your camera capable of acting as a master and one acting as an off camera flash. Just set the camera to wireless flash and the off camera flash to eTTL and everything should work. If you want to control power output manually but still use them off camera, just use them in servo mode (and with an IR clamp on the on camera flash if necessary).

• Like Like x 1
  6. stargazin

stargazin New to TalkEmount

Dec 7, 2014
    Hello, this is my first post and new to the forum. I'm very interested in this topic. My wife bought me the a6000 with the kit lens and the 55_210 lens. I'm just getting back into photography. I'm looking for a flash that can be used as a slave flash as well as a ttl flash. Will the mentioned Nissan i40 work for this? I'm trying to save money too upgrade to better lenses as I work my way into this camera. Thanks, Jeff.

7. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Last year I bought a Minolta 3600 HS (D) which requires a $18 adapter for Nex 6, the lens itself was $50 (used). It flips up & down but not sideways (i.e. can't bounce it off ceiling when holding camera sideways in portrait orientation). It has no manual controls on the flash itself but supports flash exposure compensation. It has High Speed Sync. The flash is about the size of Canon 430EX but much lighter and balances well on Nex. I think the guide number is 36m, which makes it about 1.8x more powerful than the Cullmann flash in the post above. There were some scenarios (e.g. a large cavernous poorly lit conference hall) where the lens was barely cutting it, I definitely wouldn't settle for a less powerful one if I was already spending money on an external flash. I got it primarily for HSS, though.

I see that flash on Amazon right now for $80, as I said I was able to get it for $50 but it took a bit of hunting around. I looked at many different units but some were much more pricey and others were from some companies I've never heard of.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stargazin

Dec 7, 2014
    Thank you very much. Can this work as a remote flash? Besides the EVF, is there much difference between the NEX6 and the a6000? The 6000 had I guess the new multi function hot shoe. I'm also looking at a fairly cheap 1300mm telephoto lens that will need a twenty dollar adapter. I'm not expecting great edge to edge, but I should be able to crop something fair from the center of the image. It's by no means a fast lens.

I live on the central Oregon Coast, and much of what I see is often across, bays and rivers. So I need the reach. I would love to try and connect this to my WilliamsOptics 66 ED refractor telescope.

I've seen some interesting things done with remote flash photography which is why I'm looking in that direction. I'm so far behind in this anymore. I'm reading as much as I can, trying to find good forums. Most of my shooting will be outdoors. But when the girls are all home from college on breaks, I want to get some cool shots of them. Primarily I need to figure this camera out. My I had that tiny EOS for a couple weeks, and wasn't impressed really. Before that I had a Minolta Maxim 7000I. I used that quite a bit while I was commercial fishing Alaska over 20 years ago. I thought that was a fun and complicated machine. This thing is nuts compared to it.

10. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I believe 3600HSD can be triggered wirelessly if you have the right trigger. I am not sure what the difference in shoe is between A6000 or Nex 6, figure you may still need an adapter, they are cheap and small.

11. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Make sure if you get the older Minolta flashes, that they are the (D) flashes intended for digital cameras. If you get a a regular HS or Xi you could damage your camera.

• Like Like x 1
  12. stargazin

Dec 7, 2014
    Ok d for digital, adapter for multi shoe for backward compatibility. Any thoughts on the Photixx Metrios, or the Sony 43 and do either need triggers or will the a6000 be able to control these via the pop up. I guess unless there is no direct line of site a trigger may be necessary. I'm thinking I may need 1-2 remote flashes for some deep outdoor illumination. I'm really trying to go as cheap as I can. I have 4 girls 3 in college. Money is very tight, but I don't want a drawer full of stuff when I could've bought proper gear the first time. I'm hoping to use my daughter's as models to get my feet wet. I'll mainly be shooting coastal areas, headbands rainforest with my family in these settings.

Thanks again

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that TTL isn't very useful for off camera work. I like the Youngnuo YN.560 III and their remote controller quite a bit and these are cheap at something like 70 USD (the commander is something like 40 USD). Strobist discussion group is great place to seek info:
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/

Flash modifiers take lots of light out of your speedlites so you need as powerful flash as you can get. YN-560 has got guide number of 58 (iso 100 and meters). If you place a softbox 5 meters from subject and the softbox takes 3 stops you end with something like 58/5=aperture 11 and -3 stops=aperture 4 (situation isn't this bad really, softbox creates a large source of illumination and it is different from a point source). I think that manual flashes are easier to control and understand than TTL when there are multiple off camera flashes.

On camera work TTL is great.

Manual flashes need their own or generic transmitters/receivers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stargazin

Dec 7, 2014
    There is so much to learn. I have been out of it for over 20 years and never really did much flash other than slapping one on the camera. I have seen cool stuff done with off remote flash adding light to places that really bring out some interesting effects. I start getting brain cramps, trying to get going again. I still have my old Bogen tripods, and heads. Tanks compared to the new stuff.

15. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Flash is often necessary evil in photographing (less so these days) but it can be valuable tool too. Price difference with manual and TTL flashes are huge.

Two third party powerful TTL flashes costs here about 250 € a piece and you may need a third one to work as a commander (or Pixel Kings for Sony, something like 200 € for two receivers and one transmitter). 2 YN-560 III and one remote controller is locally 260 € and about 150 € from China. Even cheaper is 3 RF-603 II and two Wansen WS-560 (maybe 100 €). The most expensive 2 flash system for Sony is probably 3 Sony HVL-F60M (one as transmitter) at € 1700 €.

Studio flashes are mostly manual and don't even have remote power adjustment.