TTL flash for A7/R that doesn't have overheat problem?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by flash, Feb 23, 2014.

1. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    I have an A7 and an A7R that I'm using as working cameras. All is well except for my need for a TTL flash that doesn't shut down every 30 shots due to a heat warning. I bought a HVL60 (and I've owned a 58 previously). It's brilliant but unusable in a reception where I need to shoot lots, fast. Canon/Nikon/Olympus and Metz all don't do this and Sony is known for this problem (as well as the quickly replaced Nikon SB900). Last weekend I had to change to my EM1 3 times to get the guest shots done. Not a problem, except I'm hoping to not have to carry the EM1 for much longer. I can get extra guns (will definitely have 3) but I don't need to be running off changing guns in the middle of something. Not interested in auto or manual guns for this purpose.

So is there a native flash for the A7, that doesn't need the hotshot adaptor from a brand besides Sony. I'm OK 90% of the time with the 60. Just need it for some reception shots.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Maybe external power supply would work for you. About half of heat comes from high voltage generating circuit (most of the rest comes from discharging the flash) and that way that heat won't bother you.

3. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Thanks. I wield two cameras so power packs are another thing I really don't need hanging off a shoulder. Also from what I've read the HVL60M doesn't see much improvement using one. At this stage it looks like I'll have to change guns regularly during the reception to try and avoid the problems. The HVL60M is really a fantastic flash in use, except for this one small issue.

Does anyone know whether the HVL43M has the same issue as its larger brothers?

Gordon

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I might be getting Nissin 622 Mark II when I will get some extra money. It doesn't seem to be suffering so much from overheating.

• Like Like x 1