1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Trying to shoot stars

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Yves Gajardo, May 13, 2014.

1. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    So, I've been dabbling in shooting the sky at night with stars. Trying to learn and adjust settings and I think I'm getting there. I think I just need to try it at a later time at night. This was shot at around 10pm. 53 second exposure, ISO 3200, f16, 24mm focal length but on NEX 6. I think I should have shot it at 2.8, as I've read, to let in more light. Noise reduction in post was done as well. Like I said I'm still learning this. Any comments/suggestions I'd appreciate it.

14174925185_c94110b11d_b. Starry Night in Antioch.jpg by yvesgajardo, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    As wide open as possible. So f number as small as possible. That way you will be able to use ISO 100 or 200 and so avoid noise. Also, keep the exposures less than 30 seconds to avoid the stars streaking as the earth rotates.

In short, all the settings need to be the other end of the scale! You will suddenly see there are A LOT more stars up there than your humble eye can see. Also use a wider angle, like 16mm for best results.

Also, location is key. Get as far away from towns/cities as you can. Light pollution will otherwise render you just a grey haze up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 5
  3. jade_monkey07

jade_monkey07 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2013
    José has it all correct. The moon can be detrimental also

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends

• Like Like x 1
  4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Example using the sort of settings I mention (16mm, f2.8, ISO200, 30 seconds I think this was).
    Stood there you could only see 30% of the stars in the image using the naked eye.

DSC07433_zps0ffea710.

• Like Like x 3
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What José said. :thiagree:

But also: right now the moon is full, and unless you want to have your night shots appear as bright as in daylight, you may want to wait until it sets.

Edit: D'oh! jade_monkey07 beat me to it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yves Gajardo

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    ah cool!! Thanks for the tips guys!

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Moon statements are true, best star pics are when it is a moonless night.

However you can do some cool stuff when it is a full moon...
    DSC02412_zps78423270.

8. avsfan113

avsfan113 TalkEmount Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Omaha, NE USA
    Tim
    You can raise the iso if you are willing to deal with some noise to get more stars. Mine are shot at 3200 iso with NEX-5T. Need higher iso to get milky way.

Sent from my XT1080 using TalkEmount mobile app

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  9. Yves Gajardo

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    Cool, I guess that was what I was reading about using higher ISO. For the milkyway shots.

10. Yves Gajardo

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    My widest lens is an alt Vivitar 24mm f2.8. I think I need to invest in something wider.

11. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I'd recommend it if you want to get into astrophotography.

12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Can't wait to see the a7s performance in astrophotography...

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

13. Yves Gajardo

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    Just did a little reading and yes the wider the better.

Thanks for the tips all!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Good opportunity to get some shooting stars...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...wer-turn-STORM-1-000-shooting-stars-HOUR.html
    http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2014/05/earth_to_pass_through_large_cl.html

My suggestion if you do it, is to keep taking pictures constantly, so as soon as an exposure is complete start the next one. Also, disable DRO, Noise Reduction and Long Exposure Noise Reduction as these will make the camera stall for a few seconds after a long exposure as it processes them and will not bring you any advantages. Also shoot RAW rather than JPEG.

• Like Like x 3
  15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
  16. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José

Well as I am in the UK and it's not going to be visible here, thought some guys in North America could give it a go and at least I can then enjoy the results! It's going to be quite a show!

17. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I pray for clear sky's. And if calculations are close the moon won't be So bright as it is now.

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, thanks very much for that head's up, José. I live within an easy day's ride of one of the emptiest places in the U.S. If the weather's clear that weekend, I know where I'll be headed! ;)

9543845004_8f68a1c8e3_b.

Jungo Road.jpg
    by Holzwerk, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3