1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trying to learn how to do photography like this guy...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by shaolin95, Aug 21, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I am very impressed with the art like look of this guys photos but I am not even sure how this will be called so that I can start looking for tutorials etc.
    Any suggestions? :)
    This is his link:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/adriansommeling

• Like Like x 1
  2. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Wow! That's very particular! It almost looks like toons. Very impressive! I think there's A LOT of post-processing...

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Many hours in front of the computer I think!

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Surreal to the extreme...as mentioned earlier, looks like 'toons'.
    While without question there is significant technical / artistic talent and a huge investment in time to produce such results...which I acknowledge & applaud...I have to be honest and say I'm not drawn to that sort of product at all...don't even think of it as "photography".
    But that's just me...variety is the spice of life as they say

5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Yeah, this would require a ton of photoshop work as he is obviously combining elements from multiple images. He is probably using photoshop for lens flares as well judging by the nice consistent glow he is getting. Looks like a lot of his images are also HDR. Not that most natural photos but still impressive work.

6. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    It makes me think of the famous sports and advertising photographer Tim Tadder. He's kind of the masculin Annie Leibovitz LOL
    http://500px.com/timtadder

7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I understand your point but to me is all about expanding your horizons...like getting into macro photography, or stars, etc...I want to learn to do as much as possible to keep things fresh. :)

8. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    You're very right! I'd like to do astro-photography now

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

9. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    FYI, just so we're clear, no need for any interest in anything to be justified...it's all good, was only voicing my view.
    Others may have no interest in Nature / Wildlife photography as I do, etc, and that's fine too.
    :)

10. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    My mind is blown at seeing those. WOW

• Like Like x 1
  11. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    I read an interview of him in a photography magazine a couple of months ago. He showed how he did 2 of the photos. They are basically just multiple photo composites. I don't think he does any illustrating. It's just layering & toning in Photoshop.

Josh Rossi does similar work and he has a whole website full of tutorials.
    http://joshrossi.com/
    http://compositeplanet.com/

• Like Like x 3
  12. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the links. I will check those !

13. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    It does look a bit like HDR photography, so as you say, there is some tone mapping going on.

14. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    • Like Like x 1
  15. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    • Like Like x 1
  16. stephen431

May 2, 2014
    If you have a few minutes today, CreativeLive is rebroadcasting a photoshop photo compositing workshop by Aaron Nace.
    www.creativelive.com

• Like Like x 1
  17. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I must be looking at it wrong because I see it listed under Wednesday. I will check from home cause that would be awesome!

18. stephen431

May 2, 2014
    Yeah, they usually rebroadcast a session for a day or two after the live workshop. I was watching a little of it this afternoon. It was under the "Watch Now Free" section at the top of the website. It's not on right now, but it might pop back up again later tonight. It's a good workshop.
    They rebroadcast previous workshops a lot, so just check their calendar from time to time. The tutorials on that site are really well done.
    If it's not on again tonight, he has some tutorials on Phlearn.com, and there are tons of decent compositing tutorials out on the youtubes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    I must agree with roundball, massive post processing and a very imaginative mind. Not my cup of tea but certainly has a large following.
    Bruce

20. stephen431

May 2, 2014
    One of the tips that kept coming up again and again with the compositing tutorials is that if you want to save yourself a lot of extra post processing time, lock down your tripod to the same height and angle for each of the photo layers you're stacking. It also helps for beginners to try to position a light source in their "studio" that matches the position of the main light source in their background photo. Lenses don't have to be the same, & DOF doesn't have to be the same, but camera height, angle & light source direction will really help build a better composite.

• Like Like x 1