1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trying to Find Entire Menu Tree of Most Every NEX Camera

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by larrytxeast, Oct 16, 2013.

1. larrytxeast

larrytxeast TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    In an earlier post I mentioned how I'm a C3 user considering other options. One of the main important things to me--how the buttons are configurable. I'm trying to do my own research on that, and basically I'm coming up empty.

In the case of my C3, the left-right buttons are configurable, as is the bottom "soft" button. The center button is the one used for 5 other things you specify. As such, I assign ISO to left, WB to right, focus point selection or flash exposure compensation to the bottom, the center one has AF-area mode, AF/MF, Drive, Image Processing Preset, DRO.

The main thing is that ISO & WB, 2 of the options I change constantly, are always available, left & right. I want that also on whatever other NEX camera I may get.

More relevant: I'm able to easily see in the menu tree etc of the C3 that the left & right buttons BOTH are assignable, and that the bottom soft button is, and that the center button is the "Fn" button of 5 favs as it were. Even if I didn't own the camera, I go to DPreview's review of it & it's right there.

I'm trying to find out how the 5n, 5r, F3, and 6 do with this, by seeing what each camera's menu options or its menu "tree" or "layout" is, and for the life of me no matter how hard I look, I can't find the entire menu "tree" anywhere, not even in the owner's manuals (I downloaded the PDF for the 5r). "Yahoo! and Google are be your friend" is the common saying, but not with this--I absolutely cannot find this information ANYWHERE. I want to know because configure-ability of buttons will play a HUGE role in what camera I may change over to (if I change at all). I don't understand it, is this some state FBI secret or something? What gives?

LRH

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The camera that is most configurable - and has the most buttons - in the NEX family still is the NEX-7. You don't even have to press any button to change the ISO - just turn the dial.

3. larrytxeast

larrytxeast TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    I appreciate the observation. My thing is, I want a way to be able to see what the customization options are for pretty much EVERY one of the NEX cameras, most specifically the NEX-5n, NEX-5r, NEX-6 and NEX-F3.

I finally was able to dig around & find a DPreview thread where a previous 5n owner upgrading to the 5r noted that only the button soft B button was customizable, that the center button and left-right BOTH are NOT changeable in anyway (center is MODE, which I would never use, I always shoot in aperture-priority), and that the Fn button on top is for the "slots of favorites" only it's now 6 vs 5. How silly is that, when on my C3 the left, right AND bottom buttons are configurable.

I had to dig like CRAZY to figure that out, whereas I go to the DPreview of the C3 and everything I want to know is right there on the "Menus" page. Why isn't it like that for ALL of the NEX cameras? Why the secrecy? (What's funny, in reading that thread, is one poster remarked "didn't you do your homework before buying?" Well, yes that's the idea, but how are you supposed to when this info is so hard to dig up?)

LRH

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The easiest way would probably be to search online for the user manual for each camera, the menu trees are contained therein. At least for the 5N it is.