1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trying landscape, looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Nature' started by pworden, Jun 14, 2015.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    My main photo work is macro, but I'd love to take acceptable landscapes. These aren't there yet and I'd love some suggestions. Harsh critiques very welcome. Taken with various lenses, Z24, Rokinon 12, SEL18105G.

18811679062_55f22e88c0_h. _DSC1777-Pano-Edit.jpg by Patti Worden, on Flickr
    on Flickr, 24Zeiss

18790488906_27fa93d0e2_h. _DSC1844-Edit-2-Edit.jpg by Patti Worden, on Flickr

Edit.jpg[/URL] by Patti Worden, on Flickr- This one is the 12mm Rokinon.
    18632442419_718020daa9_h. Fallen Tree sRGB by Patti Worden, on Flickr
    stacked 12mm Rokinon

Having some trouble with white balance. Thought I had it dialed in, previewed in Flickr on iPad and it was way too cool. Changed to auto white balance. Now looks too purple here.
    I tried to enhance the sky on the second one but I think it looks gloomy. Thanks for any input. Be critical!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
  3. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
  4. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    pworden, I like 2 and 3. I think 2 would have had a lot more potential if shot at early morning or dusk (golden hour) with a little less cloud and some colour in the sky. The colour would have also reflected of the water. Unfortunately we can't control the sky. Nice composition though with elements of fore, mid and back ground.

Number 3 for my style I would probably push the contrast more and if lucky enough to get the right light at the right time of day there is potential to get some light rays coming through the trees in the background. But again I like the composition.

For number 1 I feel the tree line on the horizon is a bit to high and number 4 the woody structure in the middle maybe to centred. I look forward to seeing more and following your progress.

5. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks so much! Yes, I know I should get up earlier or be there later!! In fact, I said that to myself. I'll try adjusting the contrast #3.

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    What lens are you using to shoot the panorama? Is that the Zeiss 24mm?

One thing you can try, is using the 18-105 lens at around 50mm and creating a panorama that way. You can still get the full width of the pano, but things won't look so far away.

The other thing to try, if the light isn't nice and golden like Southy suggests, maybe try black and white conversion? Works best with dramatic clouds (like the 2nd image).

7. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    FYI - I have a color calibrated monitor/iMac 5K Retina, calibrated with Xrite. This is what I see on the monitor compared with what's published on Flickr. Weird.
    Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 9.07.26 PM.

8. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Haha yes the getting up early part can be hard. I have made many plans to do early morning shoots only to end up hitting the snooze button on the alarm and sleeping in. Then theres the morning when I do drag myself up in the dark only to find a miserable grey sky and no colour at all, :(

9. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Something is not right there. How are you publishing to flickr? Are you exporting from flickr and uploading, or using the lightroom flickr integration?

If you are exporting it as a jpeg from lightroom first, what colour space are you using?

10. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I'm copying the BBCode from Flickr and pasting that in as the link.

11. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Sorry, I mean how are you getting it from Lightroom up to Flickr.

12. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Interesting. Yes, the pano is the Zeiss. I've been thinking of selling it since I just haven't appreciated it as much as I expected. I love the 18105 but I think it's just me and that I haven't yet mastered the Zeiss. That's one of the reasons I shot all three wide-angle-possibles today. Still, not impressed enough by the Zeiss. Thinking of selling to raise $ for an A7(X).

13. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Just publishing to a Flickr collection with LR.

14. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    One problem that you can have, is to do with Color Space. You might be uploading in something called Adobe RGB, but you want to be in sRGB for anything on the web (flickr).

Take a look at this link:

http://www.alexandrosmaragos.com/2012/08/washed-out-photos-online-how-to-fix-this.html

Actually this one has even better info:

http://petapixel.com/2014/12/16/photographers-introduction-color-color-space-monitor-calibration/

You can see they have examples on what happens if the color space is wrong on flickr.

medium_large.1417324814.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    • Like Like x 2
  16. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    That looks much better!

17. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Wow, huge! I have 8 million pictures to repost. (Not). But so incredibly good to know. What a difference. But it SHOULD have worked as expected from LR. Guess not.

18. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Beautiful work Patti!!! I like #2 the most (composition, colors and DOF) - excellent photo IMHO :thumbsup:

19. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks, but I know I have a long way to go. I reposted all of these as sRGB and relinked this morning, so the original bluish ones are gone. Good learning experience about sRGB. I knew that but just assumed LR was converting automatically. Doesn't make sense that it would now that I think about it:)

20. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    I'm still confused about why lightroom didn't convert it for you. I can publish directly from lightroom, no problem.

Maybe it's because you have your monitor calibrated, and so lightroom is set up in a more advanced mode? You might be using ProPhoto RGB in lightroom to take full advantage of the calibration.