1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trouble with fotga FD-NEX adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by andrw, Jan 5, 2015.

1. andrw

andrw New to TalkEmount

Jan 5, 2015
    Hi guys,

I recently picked up a fotga FD-NEX adapter and it didn't come with exact instructions. I think I am attaching it onto the lens correctly, but the aperture ring does not do anything when I turn it. Can anyone offer me some help with this?

Thanks in advance!

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have one of those in MD mount and it does not have an aperture ring.

With a manual lens mounted via an adapter you typically adjust the aperture via the lens itself.

BTW: Come say hi in the New Member section.

3. mrlrz

mrlrz TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi andrw, and welcome.
    I use fotga on other mounts, so I'm just going to guess

My adaptors have no link with the aperture ring. Maybe there's a lock on the lens itself?
    Something like 'go electronic' from the electronic-analogic middle-age

What happen if you turn the ring without adapter attached?

4. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Well, I have another type of FD-NEX adaptor but I guess they all work the same way. Mine has an ON-OFF position ring which equals to the LOCK-UNLOCK you have on the Fotga.
    For it to work I set it to ON, attach the Lens and move it to OFF. Then you can attach the combo to the camera. Confusing I must admit and not obvious.

Suggest you try something similar. My thought is that ON = LOCK and UNLOCK = OFF. Otherwise do the opposite.

5. andrw

andrw New to TalkEmount

Jan 5, 2015
    Thanks for the responses!

It seems I need to have it on Lock to attach it to the lens like you said, but turning the aperture ring on the lens still has no effect on the aperture blades. It stays wide open the whole time.

The lens is a Canon FD 135/3.5 if that helps

6. CalBoy87

CalBoy87 TalkEmount Regular

Sep 13, 2014
    South Korea
    Hi. I am using their adapters on 7 FD lenses. Is not FOTGA, all FD-NEX adapters has a on-off switch. Turn the ring, so the the dot in the middle between ON and OFF is aligned with the cut in the inner ring. Than install it on the lens. Make sure there is audible click at the end of installation. Then turn the ring clockwise, again until click. Now the ON-OFF marking should be on both sides of the FD-NEX markings below. Now, you should be able to control aperture. Is kinda tricky, but once you've done it will be peace of cake. If you still have a problems, let me know, I will post some pictures, which I am too lazy to take now.
    Hope it helps

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That sounds more like an issue with the lens that the adapter. The adapter "should" have no impact on the way the blades operate.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    As mentioned, FD apertures are notoriously finicky. My guess is that both the adapter and lens are fine, but you need to be exacting when mounting the lens to the adapter.

First, the adapter should be in the OPEN or UNLOCKED position. Then the red dots on both the lens and adapter should be lined up, and the pieces joined snuggly. Then the adapter must be rotated into position, and then the adapter's ring should be rotated into the LOCK position. The tricky part is getting the rod and tab to engage. Failure to do that step will make the aperture unusable.

9. mrlrz

mrlrz TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  10. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Indeed. Check the lens. Had a bad experience with a 35-105. At first glance I thought I missattached it on the adapter and finally realized that the blades were stuck wide open.
    There is a way to test that out. Found some video on youtube explaining how to operate on the lens to test the aperture blades.

11. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    it is probably the 2 pin type conecting points of the older FD that is your problem,,if you play with the lens by itself oyu need to press the little arm & then adjust your aperture, you should now see it moving..
    same problem with the adpater, you have to put it on in the right order & then you can move aperture.
    my adapater is slightly loose & if it bumps the litle pin arm loses contact & the aperture goes staright to wide open -i have to reseat the lens/adapter lock ring to place the pin bck in the right spot to adjust the aperture again

12. andrw

andrw New to TalkEmount

Jan 5, 2015
    Thanks everyone for their input, such a helpful forum!

I got the lens off ebay and it's actually my first film lens I wanted to try with an adapter. It was sold in a working condition. I watched youtube videos to see how to test the aperture but I can't seem to get it to work, so I'm not actually sure if it's me having a problem with the adapter or if the lens is stuck wide open.

Can someone explain how to test if the aperture blades are stuck wide open? I was using this video as a guide, but my lens is slightly different than the one in the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juGX1XyZ6WI

Here's a photo of the lens and my attempt at having the adapter on (let me know if I am doing something obviously wrong with the adapter)

xcDD1q5.
    RWPF4yI.

13. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    I think this is the one I used to understand how to check the aperture on my faulty 35-105. Worked well for me. I even checked some other FDs I have to compare. Should work for you too.

14. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    firstly turn the aperture to something like f8
    ok looking at the 2nd pic -turn the ring with the red dot to the right as I am looking at it -now you should be able to push on the larger lock pin at the top of the lens in the pic & see that the blades move in when looking into the lens

15. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    The aperture ring on the FOTGA adapter needs to be set the other way (from what is in your photo) before you attach the lens to it. (Not sure if you've already done that correctly or not.) Then when you set it as shown in your photo, the aperture should follow the setting on the lens itself.

16. leemik

leemik TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    I hate FD lenses.. so complicated to adapt.. see that long "L shaped" metal tab sticking out of the bottom of the lens? if you push that with your finger all the way over and hold it.. then with your other hand turn the aperture ring.. it should work now.. if not, your lens if defective (which is possible but unlikely)

The adapter is attempting to do the same thing as pushing that metal tab and holding it with your finger when you turn the dial from unlock to lock. So yes, the adapter does affect your aperture function in the case of FD lenses. BUT what I've noticed with many FD adapters out there is you have to put the dot right on "lock".. some adapters spin more than "lock"... don't do that .. put the dot right on lock and it should work.

--mike

17. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    I would never hate a lens because of the adapter. Have many FDs and no issue with my first and only adapter.

18. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    here is how fd adapters should hook up with the aperture lever in the lens.

once you have turned the ring on the adapter, per the pic, the aperture leaves should be opening and closing when you turn the aperture ring on the lens.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1