1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod screw length for NEX-5T too long?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tommyrot, Mar 27, 2014.

1. tommyrot

tommyrot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Chicago
    Hello everyone--this is my first post here.

I purchased an NEX-5T last December and I love it. I've decided to buy a tripod, and in my camera's manual it says "use a tripod with a screw length of less than 5.5mm (7/32 inch)" and that longer screws can damage the camera. (This manual also applies to the NEX-6.)

I've looked at some tripods online and they all seem to have a screw length of 1/4 inch, which is 1/32 inch longer than the maximum 7/32 inch that Sony recommends. I've searched here and could not find any mention of this issue.

Will a 1/4 inch screw length work? If not, what do people do? My boss suggested putting a washer under the bottom of the screw to shorten the screw length on the top--would that work?

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    1/4 is the screw width of the tripod - not many state the length... Many tripods have a collar on the screw so you can adjust it to any length you want though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tommyrot

tommyrot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Chicago
    Suddenly this all makes sense! Thanks.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You want the tripod screw to turn about 4-5 turns (that is slightly less than 1/4" inch) to keep the camera in the tripod securely. If the screw bottoms and you can't adjust the screw you can add a washer but it won't prevent camera turning. It is better to make a spacer out of leather or rubber. Or file the screw down. Bicycle inner tires are very handy for this. Sometimes two pieces glued together are needed.

• Like Like x 1