Tripod screw length for NEX-5T too long?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tommyrot, Mar 27, 2014.

1. tommyrot

tommyrot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Chicago
    Hello everyone--this is my first post here.

I purchased an NEX-5T last December and I love it. I've decided to buy a tripod, and in my camera's manual it says "use a tripod with a screw length of less than 5.5mm (7/32 inch)" and that longer screws can damage the camera. (This manual also applies to the NEX-6.)

I've looked at some tripods online and they all seem to have a screw length of 1/4 inch, which is 1/32 inch longer than the maximum 7/32 inch that Sony recommends. I've searched here and could not find any mention of this issue.

Will a 1/4 inch screw length work? If not, what do people do? My boss suggested putting a washer under the bottom of the screw to shorten the screw length on the top--would that work?

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue Subscribing Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    1/4 is the screw width of the tripod - not many state the length... Many tripods have a collar on the screw so you can adjust it to any length you want though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tommyrot

tommyrot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Chicago
    Suddenly this all makes sense! Thanks.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You want the tripod screw to turn about 4-5 turns (that is slightly less than 1/4" inch) to keep the camera in the tripod securely. If the screw bottoms and you can't adjust the screw you can add a washer but it won't prevent camera turning. It is better to make a spacer out of leather or rubber. Or file the screw down. Bicycle inner tires are very handy for this. Sometimes two pieces glued together are needed.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.