1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trip to the local Arboretum...Bees after early pollen saved the day !

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Apr 5, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I felt like it was probably too early to have much to shoot at the local Arboretum but I couldn’t wait any longer, had to get out and go today…and as expected virtually nothing to shoot.

BUT…to my complete surprise this early in the year, there was some sort of large flowering bush that was in bloom and 3-4 Bees were working the nectar, getting pollen all over themselves.

And unless I misunderstood what I thought was happening, when the Bee's front legs got covered with pollen it looked like they were reaching them back to the hind legs and rubbing them, depositing the pollen there…I assume that's what those yellow clumps are on each hind leg you see in the photos...could be wrong of course.

Canon FDn 200/4.0 Macro Lens did an outstanding job on the NEX-7. Very bright sunlight, ISO100, AP mode, mostly 5.6 - 8.0, shutter mostly 1/320 - 1/500. Only PP was a mere 10 units of clarity in LR and I’m not sure it made enough difference to go to the trouble, otherwise SOOC.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done, Bees can be tricky to get.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Closeup of Bee on a flower

• Like Like x 5
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Googled and found it…those large yellow lumps on the back legs are indeed the pollen…special genetically designed "storage basket" on the back legs to carry pollen.

< snip >

Single Gene in Honeybees Influences Pollen-Basket Formation on Workers’ Hind Legs

http://www.bioquicknews.com/node/1592

5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Well spotted and captured.

TT

• Like Like x 1
  6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Awfully glad our unusually long, cold, wet, nasty winter is winding down...tired of spending so much time around the house...should now be able to get out for a greater variety of shots

• Agree Agree x 2