Triggertrap Flash Adapter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bimjo, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I found this little doodad over at The Digital Story.

Seems like an inexpensive way to get into high speed photography. Unlike most methods, this uses a long exposure on the camera and triggers the flash independently from the shutter.

And someone I know has a iPhone 3GS hanging around doing nothing at the moment that could be dedicated to this. Hmmm… :cool:

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    This is very old tech. Stroboscopes and measured/triggered flash is old like 50 years or so.

It is very useful technique however, now it is even very cheap.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, as usual, I'm late to the party. Gonna find out how well it works though as I just ordered one.

The app has a rather extensive battery of options for anyone with a camera that will accept a wired remote. The Timewarp option looks intriguing. Now I may have to pick up a cheap dslr. ;)

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, the main part is that this costs something like 1/1000 from the old days. Of course it doesn't have laser triggers etc. but for the price it is probably very useful.

For technically minded mobile phones have a headphone jack. It can be used to generate an electric signal that can be used to switch a semiconductor switch on/off and that can be used to control flashes. Now we need only some kind of way to measure surroundings (sound, laser light port etc.) and we can take photos of fast events.

For historically minded, Nexes have minimum of flash synchronization speed of about 1/250 s. That is fast to compared old cameras where it was usually something like 1/60 or so. Flashes have something like 1/10000 s duration (that is highly variable) so it is much easier to use camera in dark and use flash to capture a moment. The tricky part is when to trigger the flash. 1/10000 s is about 10 cm of travel for a bullet with velocity of 1000 m/s.

Their Arduino shield is pretty interesting. Ideally there would be something measuring surroundings and ability to trigger camera (in bulb mode?) and maybe several flashes independently.

Here is a famous fast photograph from 1964:
    http://americanart.si.edu/collections/search/artwork/?id=32694

5. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Could you not just set your camera for long exposure and manually trigger the flash? Or am I missing something? It is nice this is wireless and controlled by the phone but I think you can achieve the same results using a normal off camera manual flash setup.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    No. The idea is control the flash very precisely. For example you may want to flash fire every 5 s for 3 times or you need to trigger flash when certain conditions are meet.

I don't know the application but for example you might want to take a flash photo from a grape hitting water surface. The program may generate a sound and you release the grape with that signal and flash fires after a selected period. That way you can take a photo just correct moment.

Ideally these devices should have suitable inputs (light, sound, light ports etc.) and possibility to fire several flashes independently and trigger the camera too.

There are two ways to take fast photographs. The first is to use fast cameras (10 000 frames per second is achievable via mechanical cameras and there are digital equivalents too) and second is use fast flash that is controlled very precisely. The second option is much cheaper. Really fast flashes are pretty expensive (they have short xenon tube operated at very high voltage and relatively small power) but even consumer ones are something like 100 times faster than Nex shutter. Fast cameras were quite expensive to operate, 10 000 frames with 35 mm film is something like 240 metres of film.

7. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Oh, gotcha, forgive my ignorance. :) I'd be interested in seeing what you guys pull off if you get one of these.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ok, it just arrived (fast service!) in the afternoon mail. I had a limited time to play with it before putting it away for two weeks (it's my birthday present and that not until the 13th).

Plugged everything in. Set the app on sound mode. Turned everything on. Set the camera to a long exposure and started dropping a ping pong ball. Fun, but I need to read the documentation and practice. If you have a camera with a wired remote the possibilities expand greatly.

flash_trigger130927_01.

Cranked the sound sensitivity down to the point it was picking up the flash noise and firing multiple times for each shot and got this one. Trip shutter with wireless remote, drop ball, say "HEY", wait for everything to stop bouncing/rolling/flashing, check LCD, laugh. :)

flash_trigger130927_02.

These were taken in a dark room with just the flash and a long exposure. More later, after I actually receive my birthday present. :p

• Like Like x 2
  9. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Ok call me a dunce but I never till now figured out that to get the balls bouncing in a row shot that you sometimes see you would do a long exposure in a dark room and just fire the flash rapidly. Derp.