Tri-X film OMG!!

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Jefenator, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    8974255095_bb4d2a79ab_c.
    Jazz Quartet by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

This is the stuff I started out with, developing in the kitchen sink and printing on the closet floor in my first apartment. It's been a long while since I've shot with it, and what a thrill it is to finally come back home! :D

8974254585_eb948dc01f_c.
    Singer & Bassist by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

I recently did a couple rolls of T-max (because that's all the local store had) but I never cared quite so much for that. To my eyes, the Tri-X may be crude and grainy but it also has a TON of character.

Nowadays with my digital captures, I do a lot of tweaking in Lightroom and Photoshop. Back in the day with this Tri-X, my approach was a lot less involved - the emulsion does all the work. The best way I can describe it is it simultaneously spanks and caresses. Like recording to magnetic tape or playing bass through a vintage tube amp - you get a certain something that digital just can't ever quite nail.

No, I won't be selling my NEX just yet. ;) For cataloging & selling my art, there's no way I'd ever go back to film! But for this kind of stylized candid stuff, I think I might just forget about full-frame digital and build up a "hybrid" system (a good medium format camera and a good scanner). I like my Tri-X that much.

That is all... carry on! :cool:

8974255605_cd50470104_c.
    Tenor Saxophone by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    There was a time in my life where all I shot was either in Tri-X or Kodachrome

3. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I'd love to fire up a roll of Kodachrome on the next road trip!! It sucks that they discontinued that. :(

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    You can almost get the same effect on Fujifilm's Velvia, but yeah I'd still prefer the Kodachrome myself if it was still available.

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Jeff, excellent B&W shots.

6. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    This is Tri-X dev'ed in D76,...shot 47 years ago at rehearsal of the famous 60's TV prog 'Ready Steady Go!'..

image0.

....The late and sensational Dusty Springfield, RIP This is the camera used (which I still have)....

P1010049.

.....Won't be going back to 'the X' tho'....much prefer everything about digital despite 30 years with film.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Good to see the format is still alive.

8. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Yep - I was using an old Ricoh TLR. Pain in the butt to focus, but there's something I like about the instant response (almost as fast as my N7 ;)) and the way the image doesn't black out. I'm not as blown away by the detail I got on these two rolls (could be a number of things - slow shutter, user error, lens performance, scanning...) but the tonality just blows me away. I'm glad this isn't my only camera but I'm having a blast, poking around with it! :D

9. porchard

porchard TalkEmount Rookie

May 8, 2013
    What a shot for the archives! Great lady, and a GREAT voice.:th_salute:

Thanks for posting... :tup:

10. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I used to use Tri X in medium format Hasselblads all the time. Absolutely superb, nothing has ever matched it. Superb for portraits!

Great pictures, thanks for posting them.