Trey Ratcliff reviews NEX-7, a must see IMHO, live video on G+ tonight

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lapdog99, Apr 16, 2012.

1. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    OK mates, as some of you know, I am a big admirer of Trey Ratcliff, a world class expert on HDR
    and an extraordinary photographer. Trey just posted some of his review and photos from the NEX-7
    and the link is below. Take a look at his comments and photos. I think you will be impressed.

His free "Stuckon Earth" iPad app is a killer for photographers around the world.

Sony NEX-7 Review

comments are encouraged

2. lapdog99

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    just finished watching the live.twit.tv show. Kai Wong, Gordon Liang and even Sergey Brin (one of Google's founders) joined in. bottom line, NEX-7 is great camera, wave of the future, needs more lenses.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I find his review to be straightforward and helpful as he talks about the camera as a whole rather than present charts and graphs (imo this far more useful in real world use rather than taking a photo of a brick wall)

The only part I'm a bit ify is the issues he had with low light, there's the: 1. anti motion blur (changeable ISO and Exp Comp), 2. Night Scene mode (mostly automated) and 3. Handheld Twilight mode (fully automated) which all deal with low light shots so that one can take full advantage of the camera's sensor for low light shots.

4. lapdog99

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    What surprised me was how impressed Trey was with the IA mode vs. more manual modes. I do wonder when and how much of a firmware update can be expected.

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yeah, you get the feeling that Trey hasn't quite pushed the NEX sensor to the very limit yet...but then I suppose if you're comparing the NEX7's low light capabilities against that of a pro Nikon 36-megapixel D800, he'll have his reasons... :rolleyes:

That review was an excellent endorsement of the NEX7 capabilities from a guy who I may not be easily impressed when it comes to photo gear. :)

6. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    True, true