Trevor Ratcliff on why he chose sony nex 8 over the nikon d800

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by gio, Sep 29, 2013.

1. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I followed Treys switch since the very beginning (the China experiment), and I have always been convinced he'll ditch the Nikon at some point. The reasons are obvious, and it just shows one more time how capable the NEX system (including the lenses - Trey only uses native E-Mount lenses) has become.

3. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Very interesting read. I always knew a Nex could be used for pro work, great to see someone respected in the community take the leap :D

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great write up.

Still an uphill battle to get universal respect, but it is coming.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    The only disrespect that I've seen NEX receive is from other mirrorless systems bases - never seen it from the DSLR side of the house.

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    In my experience, the disrespect doesn't come from photogs, but rather from other people and clients. This always reminds me of a photoshoot I did for a project of a friend of mine (for free, of course) and one of the models came to me and wanted to lend me his 550D with kit zoom because he 'wanted the photo taken with a proper camera'. You know, with a camera bag full of equipment worth thousands and thousands of euros and dozens of thousands of photos taken with it such a moment simply hurts.

Or the story where a photos with a NEX took part in a Grand Canyon photo tour, and the guide didn't let her inside because she didn't have a SLR (yep, this was his point) ... Or at concert shootings, when all the people with their phones block you because they don't realize you're the official event photographer and not just an extra annoying fan ...

Seriously, there are some moments where I wish I had an SLR, and if it was just for the pure stupidness and rudeness of some people.

• Like Like x 2
  7. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ditto !

8. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    I must be charmed then.

I must say that I'm VERY HAPPY with the 2 local photography groups that I belong to. Why? Because nobody gives a rats @ss about gear. I can honestly say that at every group meeting/shooting that I've been to, NOBODY has brought up gear in terms of brand name & format. :cool:

What is however talked about is composition, lighting, & technique......Ah yes, that's why I love to hang out with them. But then again, I don't have any complexes about my gear nor do I bury myself in worry about what others think... & if one doesn't like it, I could really give a rats @ss myself. :)

• Like Like x 4
  9. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    Now why does this not surprise me? :biggrin:

10. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    I have the same problem some times, turning up to shoot a wedding professionally with a Nex is always interesting. I never have problems with the bride and groom, I always meet them before hand and explain my camera choice (less intimidating/obtrusive, etc) .

It is the relatives with entry level DSLRs and kit lenses that cause the trouble! It's a large part of why I bought the a3000, the shape simply looks more pro to the uninformed (clients).

It is great to have a well respected pro make such a public declaration for the uninformed casual photographers and clients. The enthusiast/pro community know Nex cameras are great already. ;)

11. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Ahhh yep. 100% agree. Its the only area where I see that come from as well, in fact I'll say m4/3. I've mentioned this a few times in the m4/3 forum at DPR and I'm still alive ;)

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52237709

I have no idea what it is with that crowd to be honest, not all of them, but a lot.

All the best folks.

Danny.

12. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    By
    Out of sheer curiosity, how do you handle reception photos ? The biggest problem that I can see using a Nex in a typically poorly (they like to say "intimately") lit reception area to capture people dancing etc. would be the rather slow AF coupled with the lack of fast zooms. Around here most wedding photogs seems to be using two cameras with something like Canon 70-200/2.8 IS on one and 17-55/2.8 IS or similar on another.

The fastest AF e-mount lens I have (SEL50F1.8) fails miserably on moving subjects in dim light. The Sigmas would work better but the FL on any prime is typically wrong for half the available shots.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

13. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    NEX is not good enough for some type of photography, no doubts.
    For pro weddings photogs, FF DSLR with fast primes like 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 and pro-flash, which moreover improves marginally AF performance of body, is the right choice. Flash is of, but AF assist light on flash is on and this is it, AF is superb. FF gives advantages of thin dof (very good thing if you shoot in environment with harsh background, as pubs usually are).

Same for wildlife, macro or sport, where you need fast af..

I cannot even imagine, that I shoot wedding with small nex, my hands and fingers will be broken after "preparing" at 9am... Bigger pro-grip of pro dslr gives you comfort for all-day shooting.

NEX is very nice to use in situation, when you have a plenty of time, no stress, landscape on tripod. Best system for manul-shooter, without the doubts. Only thing missing is FF sensor on nex body, for me.:)

14. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    You said it - not me. :biggrin:
    That being said, I won't disagree with your statement either...

15. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    For reception photos I shoot with a canon FD 1.4 50mm lens and a pretension type tripod wire thing that you attach to your belt (works great) Or I use normal sigma 30mm and 60mm nex primes and ceiling bounce a "pro" flash or use a gary fong lightsphere/or rogue flashbender.

As for shooting with it all day at a wedding shoot, it is so light I can shoot for 14 hours straight (with 1 15min loo/snack break :D ).

And remember a camera is a tool. I can do pretty much anything that a FF camera can do and more, could you shoot for 14hrs with a FF camera? :rolleyes: Can you get up in peoples faces without scaring them? I have always been thanked by clergy men for being invisible, I like to think of myself as a photography Ninja while in the church! You just cant blend in with a massive FF camera!

Its not about the money, I have well over a grands worth of nex stuff (2 nex bodies loads of primes, etc), The main reason I choose the nex as apposed to FF is because the image quality is excellent (only other photographers can tell the difference by pixel peeping), Dynamic range is amazing, low light high ISO is excellent and the camera is not big and scary like a "pro" camera.

My wedding style of photography is to shoot candid heartfelt moments, not tell the bride to stand this way or that , or maybe kiss each other on command! I work invisibly basically. Most couples start to worry that I am not taking any pictures, because I am good at what I do :)

I know it is not everyone's approach but for me as a candid shooter it is the perfect camera.

Here is an example, I respect my clients privacy, these two were very shy so I wont pose the actual kiss, but this was the second before he leaned in.
    :)

I just asked them to stand in the shady of this lovely tree and relax, while I messed about with my camera (a lie lol)

I got a real kiss and real love in his face, I just cant be arsed faking this stuff by directing people, it NEVER looks right.

If brides love themselves and want a fashion shoot on their wedding day I send them elsewhere, I am far more interested in capturing the emotions on the day and the nex is small enough to let me do that :p

16. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    And what are you going to when the FF NEX is released? :biggrin: :)

17. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    Cry hahaha . Assuming body is small I'll have to eventually upgrade :eek: lol, mostly because I have some ace legacy glass and want to use it at the right focal length :D