1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Travel zoom lens - where are the differences?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Grisu_HDH, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Hi Nexians.
    Thinking about a trvel zoom lens for holiday od course the different available 18-200 came to my mind.
    MF is no alternative, cause my better half would kill me having no AF...
    But I have to admit that I don't really get the differences of these lenses:
    Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3
    Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 LE
    Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 PZ
    Tamron 18-200 Di III VC

Can anyone light me up a bit???

2. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I bought the original silver one to use for travel on my NEX 7 and I was surprised at how good it really is. I considered the LE which is a couple of ounces lighter but there were not many individual reviews on it at the time and I didn't want to take a chance on it. Maybe I got a really good copy but mine is sharp and has good color and contrast throughout the range. There is a new 18-200 due out the end of this month that is more expensive and seems to be optimized for video. Any do-all lens will have some compromises but this one is the best I have tried. Nothing bugs me more on a vacation then changing lenses every five minutes. I usually take this one and a 50mm f 1.8 to handle most shots. I have never tried the Tamron but noticed a few people on forums who sold theirs and switched to a Sony

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Good?

4. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    And the newer LE version has no OOS??

The Tamron is on Amazon for 500 EUR right now...

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You made me look. Apparently it does have OSS.

6. lowbone

Oct 21, 2012
    I think the difference in weight between the two is three ounces

7. lowbone

Oct 21, 2012
    Just looked, the 18-200 LE is 16.3 ounces and the silver original is 18.5 the difference in price is about forty U.S.dollars.

8. Peter Zapp

Peter Zapp TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 3, 2013
    I would buy Sony SLT A37 + Tamron 18-200 f3,5-6,3 XR Di II rather than just a 18-200 for e-mount.

The lens is big, anyway. And extends further when zooming to the long end. So the larger DSLR/SLT body does little damage.

Perhaps I would also take a NEX with 30/2.8 or 35/1.8, but not necessarily carry them both. After all, a 2nd body with lens is at times more practical than changing lenses.

9. jarvan

jarvan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    Czech
    Jaroslav
    Hi Markus,
    Here are some listed with sample pictures...Click

10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I had the Tamron 18-200mm briefly when I bought my 5N. From what I could tell it seemed like a pretty decent lens, but I was looking for a much more discrete package than the 18-200mm allowed. You really need to try one on the camera first to see if you can put up with the balance, but this and the Sony badged version are the lightest options for that kind of zoom range on the NEX.