Travel with Luminar 3

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
My wife and I spent many months planning about two weeks of travel and leisure in Europe in May-June 2019. She uses a Sony A6000 and I use a Sony A7ii. She shoots jpg and I shoot raw.

Before we left home, I synchronized our camera times to nearly one second. I also wrote a little five line script on my laptop to copy images from the SD card to a named folder on my laptop and also to a USB flash drive using exactly the same folder structure.

Each day on the trip (well , nearly each day) I copied all images to my laptop and the flash drive. Then I reformatted the SD cards in our cameras. I had added that laptop folder to the Luminar library and I could look at images in Luminar and do some editing and categorizing as we went along. So each day, our images were cleaned off of our cameras and were saved in two places.

We returned home with over 1500 images. That is about par for us, about 100 per day.

At home, copied the Luminar Catalog folder on my laptop to the Pictures Folder on my desktop. I told the desktop Luminar to open that catalog. Of course all of its images were broken. But no problem. I had them all on a USB flash drive which I used to copy them into a folder on my desktop. I control-clicked the the “broken” folder in Luminar 3 and told it use the images folder I had just copied to the desktop. Since those images were in exactly the same names and folders as they were on the laptop, everything worked well. All of the editing I had done on the laptop during the trip was now on my desktop at home. It takes a bit of time to transfer 1500 images and it takes some time for Luminar get itself all happy. But we are talking minutes, not hours.

It all worked seamlessly, which has not always been my experience with software in the past. So far am very pleased with Luminar 3 for my travel photography needs.

I have not finished all processing. I many hours ahead of my. But here are a couple of images from Lucerne Switzerland that I like. These were both shot with the A7ii and a CV 65mm APO-Lanthar lens.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
You had me a little nervous when you got to the "broken folder" part of the story. Whew! :cool:

Sounds like a great trip.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Looks like you had a very nice trip.
Glad to hear all the images made it to your computer OK.
Look forward to seeing more pics.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Thanks for this, I'm considering trying out Luminar 3.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Beautiful shots, looking forward to seeing the rest. Glad you put in the effort for a redundant backup! For long distant trips, I also add a third backup if internet is available and upload a copy of JPEGs to the cloud...flickr in my case. Never know, lost, stolen or broken gear but I didn't lose my trip photos.

Strange that Luminar did corrupt all the files in the catalog. Not familiar with the latest Luminar, only tried Luminar 1.

BTW, good tip time syncing when there are multiple cameras. The clock does stray over time.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
So to be clear, Luminar did not corrupt anything. I was moving everything from my laptop to my Desktop. I did that in two steps. First I moved the catalog, which has all of the edit and categorization information from my laptop to my desktop. At that point, the desktop catalog was still "pointing" to the files on my laptop (impossible, of course), hence the "broken" links. For the second step I told the desktop catalog to use the folder of images that I had had copied from my flash drive to my desktop, which "fixed" the broken links. Luminar did not do anything wrong or unexpected. But as far as I know at this time, changing everything from one computer to another in Luminar 3 is a little two step process.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Going from all photos to "1 star or better" has gotten me from 1554 to 1073. So I am plugging away... here is another one from Lucerne. It is my first attempt at long-ish exposure for smoothing flowing water. It is not as good as others I have seen at Talkemount, but I like it anyway. This one is also A7ii + 65mm APO-Lanthar.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom