1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Travel lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Roger Dash, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Roger Dash

Roger Dash New to TalkEmount

Aug 7, 2015
    HI GUYS!

I'm heading on vacation at the end of the month and I'm bringing my NEX 6 with a few lenses.

Currently I'm bringing:

Minolta MD 28mm 2.4
    Minolta MC 50 1.4

I've heard great things about the Minolta 100mm md 2.4 and purchased it already, but would it make sense for me to use this while traveling? If so, what are the best uses of it. Or what would you use?

I'm new to the adaptive lenses but I love them.

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I guess it all depends on your vacation venue.
    ie. landscapes, indoor photos, city, rural, marine, etc.

On a Spring trip to California, I had a Nikon Series E 100mm f/2.8 handy and found it was more than long enough for most captures. 100 will be 150 equivalent FOV on your NEX 6. Only once I needed to go longer to get a very specific subject composed, with 300mm.

If I were limited to take 3 adapted primes, my preference would be 24mm f/2.5-2.8, 35mm f/2-2.8, and the 100mm (sub a 90mm f/2.8 macro if you have one.).
    The APS-C FOV makes the 28 and 50 a bit tight for my comfort. Even though they are two of my favorite focal lengths and have a large variety of each in my stash.

3. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I think it depends on how you "see" things that you want to photograph (Some people see wide others see long).

In your case, in addition to the 28 , and 50 f/1.4, I would bring the 100 unless I had a space limitation. A little reach can certainly be handy for wildlife or compression of some landscapes.

In my travels I use the 16-50 kit lens for wide shots (I don't have any adapted lenses wider than 24mm), one of my nifty fifties for low-light situations or portraits, and if space allows, a 135 f/2.8 or a 70-200 for a little reach, and possibly something that can do close focus/macro.

4. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Normal uses for 100 mm lens are portraits, isolating parts of the scene... why did you buy the lens? What were you planning to shoot with it?

5. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I just did a week long conference at Penn State and I took my MD 24/2.8. The MD24 was fine and the slightly wide 36mm EFL was pretty handy for walking around getting touristy shots but when I'm in tourist mode I think I'd rather take a native lens instead. They're lighter and AF comes in handy when you're exploring (probably the Sigma 30).

If I were to go all adapted I'd take my MD 35-105/3.5-4.5 (it's a pretty handy do all lens). Below are samples of what the lens can do. They're from my Fuji XE1 but you get the idea...

When I'm traveling I like flexibility.

19112257251_a738411c2e_b.
    blue
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

19196810811_6e9c524e12_b.
    still
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    1st one is a beautiful shot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roger Dash

Aug 7, 2015
    WELL SAID! Thanks!

8. Roger Dash

Aug 7, 2015
    I bought it for exactly that, isolating parts of the scene and we're going to be in spain/france for 11 days so I wanted to bring something with some reach.

9. Roger Dash

Aug 7, 2015
    Looking into that MD 35-105/3.5-4.5 now, great shots!

10. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I have the Olympus equivalent of that the lens, and it has a close focus "macro" feature on it that makes it useful for some shots that I couldn't get otherwise (without bringing a dedicated macro lens). On my NEX6, though 35 isn't quite wide enough for some shots but I usually just work around the FL restriction.

11. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It's the do-it-all (or do-a-lot) aspect of lenses like this that are so appealing. For me travel is about exploring and experiencing things so I'm much less particular about what gear I use. In fact, if I were to choose the idea kit to take traveling I think it would probably be something like an RX100. It would be easy to carry around all the time and could do enough stuff to handle whatever I throw at it. The images are pretty nice as well.

12. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    If I were you, and I basically have been, I'd take the Sony E-mount 55-210mm as the final lens in that trio.

Manual focus and no OSS is harder as you go up in the focal lengths.

Plus you should really have at least 1 autofocus lens you can hand to somebody else to take a photo of you.