1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Travel lens advice wanted

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by pworden, Jan 18, 2014.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I'm planning to go back to the UK for vacation this May. I'm still learning this camera, coming from a P&S, taking photos mostly on the weekends.
    I'll want to take some nice wide-angle shots and would like to try fisheye. I have the 16-50 zoom lens but not fond of it. Definitely soft much of the time, might be me. I can't justify a really 12mm Touit or a 10-18; my skill level has a long way to go before I'll spend that kind of money on a lens. So I'm considering either the Rokinon fisheye or the Sony 16mm combo with the wide angle and the fisheye attachment. I'm thinking that when I'm in a big landscape setting the wide-angle will work well and in a church, a fisheye could be fun. My swap-out lenses for different situations could be the SEL35F18 and the SEL55210. Maybe this combo would be easy to snap on-and-off - easier than swapping lenses from the 16-50 if I stick with that, to the fisheye. Not sure though if the results from the 16 would be a bit better than the 16-50 since it's a prime. I heard the 20 is better, but not as wide as I'd like. Any advice appreciated!

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    For those wide angles, the 16mm with adapter is a wise choice.

The 19mm Sigma also has a fairly wide field of view, and a lot sharper.

3. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks - I'll check it out. I don't plan to take any of my legacy lenses because I'll have to be selective and won't want to switch from needing an adaptor and not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    A lot depends on what you intend to shoot. But for a travel rig, it's difficult to beat a NEX with the 16-50 zoom. Yes, it's a bit soft wide open. And yes, it's not very good in low light. But for daylight, walking around photos, where you're likely to be stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8, it will deliver very good IQ, and you will find it hard to beat for versatility. For my type of travel, I doubt I'd ever remove it from the camera during daylight hours. And if you bring along an inexpensive f/1.8 legacy 50mm or 35mm for when you're indoors or in the evening, you will be set.

I don't know about you, but I don't really want to be swapping lenses and attachments a lot while traveling.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Not swapping much is a goal. I am considering some kind of fisheye for churches and cathedrals, taking shots centered on a front element and getting the surroundings. They can be very ornate, top to bottom, so thought it might be a fun option but certainly not for most scenes. Usually take old heritage site stuff, some landscape and then of course family candid shots. I do like my Mjnolta 50. Weird, I am actually better using the manual lenses right now than the Sony OSS lenses I have. Never practiced object tracking, for instance. But, I better study up since I usually have to keep up with the group. I'm thinking that if I take advantage of auto focus, tracking, and stay in A mode I might gain some speed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk