1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Travel kit...

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by SRHEdD, May 13, 2019.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I have 2 Domke F2 Original bags. Tried most everything in 40 years, and just love these bags. I'm heading to Cuba for a couple of days on a personal photo trip. If I set out two identical Domke F2s and put together a minimal kit in each, ONE will go...

A7RIII
    12-24FE
    24-105FE
    70-300FE
    85/1.8FE
    HVL-F45RM

Fuji XPRO2
    10-24XF
    18-55XF
    55-200XF
    35/1.4 or 35/2
    56/1.2 or 50/2
    EF-X500
    X100T (maybe)

Each kit fits in same space, has essentially same range, Fuji offers more speed for night walks/street photography, but Sony offers more dynamic range and of course FF for cropping in post. The only other factor I consider is a local restaurant wants a large print of Hemingway's home near Havana, probably not bigger than 20x30. That opportunity pushes me to larger file, but with RAW, either would most likely suffice.

I realize I'm in a great position to have these two, but a nagging part of me says take the X100T, a couple of batteries and be done. This is a bucket-list trip for me though...

2. kevistopheles

kevistopheles TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I'm in the "take the X100T, a couple of batteries and be done" camp. I just took a trip to Spain and all I took was an a6000 and an adapted Nikkor 35/2. It wasn't the ideal focal length but it worked fine. It's amazing how quickly you adapt your shooting to what you have. My previous trip was an X-Pro 1 and 18/2 and that worked out great as well.

That said, you say this is a personal photo trip for you so which kit do you enjoy using most?

• Like Like x 1
  3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Yes.

I use my Sony kit for editorial and advertising work. I want that big file if I need to move an image around within a page in layout. My school gave me Fuji X-T2 kits for our students, so I’ve acquired a couple of Fuji’s along the way and “get” the difference in build and better APS-C image quality.

Tonight, I was shooting some flowers in the yard with the used X100T I’d recently bought. I found it to have a large piece of debris in the viewfinder, so it is packed up and going back. I’ll likely order a new X100F to replace it. Everything I read says it is wonderful, and I appreciate the refinements over the T model.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I tend to shoot photos that work with the lenses that I have with me. So for me it always comes down to: How much do I want to carry on this trip vs. what shots will I give up because I don't have the right lens. And the ideal balance is different for every trip.

So I'm of no help whatsoever.

But whatever you take, I want to see what you come back with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. SpecFoto

SpecFoto TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2018
    So Cal Desert
    Jim
    If this is a "bucket-list" trip, why go with only 1 body? I would cherry-pick the best lenses/combo from each system and bring both bodies....just in case. Say Sony 24-105 and 85mm f1.8, Fuji 10-24, because it is smaller than the Sony 12-24, the 55-200 and your favorite 35 or 50 (56)mm from the 4 Fuji primes you own. That is 2 bodies and 5 lenses, it will fit nicely in the F2 and you should have room for a flash. Put the extra battery charger in your packed luggage, and you can probably get by with only 1 power cord for both chargers.

Love my Dome F6, a bit smaller but fine for what I use it for. Traveled with it and my M4/3 gear to Thailand many times.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.