Travel kit...

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have 2 Domke F2 Original bags. Tried most everything in 40 years, and just love these bags. I'm heading to Cuba for a couple of days on a personal photo trip. If I set out two identical Domke F2s and put together a minimal kit in each, ONE will go...

A7RIII
12-24FE
24-105FE
70-300FE
85/1.8FE
HVL-F45RM

Fuji XPRO2
10-24XF
18-55XF
55-200XF
35/1.4 or 35/2
56/1.2 or 50/2
EF-X500
X100T (maybe)

Each kit fits in same space, has essentially same range, Fuji offers more speed for night walks/street photography, but Sony offers more dynamic range and of course FF for cropping in post. The only other factor I consider is a local restaurant wants a large print of Hemingway's home near Havana, probably not bigger than 20x30. That opportunity pushes me to larger file, but with RAW, either would most likely suffice.

I realize I'm in a great position to have these two, but a nagging part of me says take the X100T, a couple of batteries and be done. This is a bucket-list trip for me though...

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm in the "take the X100T, a couple of batteries and be done" camp. I just took a trip to Spain and all I took was an a6000 and an adapted Nikkor 35/2. It wasn't the ideal focal length but it worked fine. It's amazing how quickly you adapt your shooting to what you have. My previous trip was an X-Pro 1 and 18/2 and that worked out great as well.

That said, you say this is a personal photo trip for you so which kit do you enjoy using most?

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Yes.

I use my Sony kit for editorial and advertising work. I want that big file if I need to move an image around within a page in layout. My school gave me Fuji X-T2 kits for our students, so I’ve acquired a couple of Fuji’s along the way and “get” the difference in build and better APS-C image quality.

Tonight, I was shooting some flowers in the yard with the used X100T I’d recently bought. I found it to have a large piece of debris in the viewfinder, so it is packed up and going back. I’ll likely order a new X100F to replace it. Everything I read says it is wonderful, and I appreciate the refinements over the T model.

Last edited:
I tend to shoot photos that work with the lenses that I have with me. So for me it always comes down to: How much do I want to carry on this trip vs. what shots will I give up because I don't have the right lens. And the ideal balance is different for every trip.

So I'm of no help whatsoever.

But whatever you take, I want to see what you come back with.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
I have 2 Domke F2 Original bags. Tried most everything in 40 years, and just love these bags. I'm heading to Cuba for a couple of days on a personal photo trip. If I set out two identical Domke F2s and put together a minimal kit in each, ONE will go...
This is a bucket-list trip for me though...
If this is a "bucket-list" trip, why go with only 1 body? I would cherry-pick the best lenses/combo from each system and bring both bodies....just in case. Say Sony 24-105 and 85mm f1.8, Fuji 10-24, because it is smaller than the Sony 12-24, the 55-200 and your favorite 35 or 50 (56)mm from the 4 Fuji primes you own. That is 2 bodies and 5 lenses, it will fit nicely in the F2 and you should have room for a flash. Put the extra battery charger in your packed luggage, and you can probably get by with only 1 power cord for both chargers.

Love my Dome F6, a bit smaller but fine for what I use it for. Traveled with it and my M4/3 gear to Thailand many times.

Last edited: