Travel insurance?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RAWFA, May 26, 2013.

1. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Hi guys,

I´m going to take a 22 days trip through Europe and I´ll be visiting Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia and Portugal (my sister is getting married there). After I´ve left Europe things got really bad...SPECIALLY on these exact countries (I have some friend who had some bad experiences). So I´ve been wondering if it´s worth to get some sort of travel insurance for my gear or not. Am I crazy? Did it really got that bad in the last 3 years since I´ve left?

- Sony Nex7
    - Nex 16mm
    - SLR Magic 23mm
    - NEX 50mm
    - Tamron NEX18-200mm
    - 4 batts
    - Several sd cards

If I was to go for the insurance would it really be worth it to insure absolutely everything or only the more expensive stuff?

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Depends on how you travel. If your hotel room has a safe that can hold your gear and you carry it with you when it's not in the safe, you might get away without both insurance and regrets. I don't know if it's gotten any worse for the last 3 years, wouldn't think so really, but if in doubt insure your stuff, if only for the trip. I'd only buy insurance for cameras and lenses. When I went to Barcelona a few years ago I took care of having my gear insured, and even then I didn't leave it out of sight, I treat my camera bag like the average woman treats her handbag. Paranoid? Maybe. Regrets? None.