1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Transitioning from NEX 6 to a6000

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Jul 2, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    My a6000 finally came in and I picked it up yesterday. I have not been able to take a shot with it 6th but instead have been flipping through menus and changing settings to match my normal shooting style. My 16-70 will probably be arriving by the end of the week...

I have the opportunity to compare both cameras on a quick little holiday trip I am heading out on to the coast. I am hoping that the a6000 will be a better fit for me than the NEX 6. I have actually just started to gel with the NEX 6 in the last couple of weeks which is horrible timing ;)

My first impression is that I like the feel of the NEX a bit better in my hands. The dials seem to be a bit clumsy for me right now on the a6000. I do however LOVE the new menus! I shot Alpha DSLR for a few years and became very fluent in the menu systrm; the a6000 is back to that model which is a huge improvement over the NEX in my mind.

Okay, so enough rambling! What are the tips and tricks people are discovering with the a6000 that they would like to share? Anything that you are finding that really stands out?

I am pretty sure that this may be a rehash of other threads, but I would love to see what people are discovering. The thought of making the 6 to 6000 jump was a difficult one for me, so I thought it might be helpful to have this discussion for others who are thinking about making a similar move.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I too went from a NEX-6 to an a6000.

While the AF is a big improvement, I still find it lacking in many/most shooting situations I find myself in.

I found member dsiglin's post on setting up the a6000 for back button focusing (https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=6666) extremely helpful to quickly jump between AF and MF and tweaked it a bit to my own liking as detailed in my response to that thread. Only down side to this is it uses up buttons so almost everything else I do often I now use the Fn menu for ... and when using legacy MF glass I usually wind up re-assigning one or two of the buttons for something else until a native AF lens goes back on.

3. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I'm jealous ... this is my number one want-it lens right now but finances won't permit for a while ... I've even given some thought to trying to horse trade my SEL24f18Z for one but that seems foolish ? I've considered renting one to get it out of my system but that could backfire. Anyone want to swap for a few weeks ?

4. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    By default, the "select" button inside the back wheel will already function as a back-button focus.

Airplane mode actually does save battery power. I'd estimate about 20% or so for a day of shooting.

5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Indeed. I usually have the focus set to wide AF-C on half shutter press, as the select button is center spot AF-S anyway so I can force the focus if I need to...

I just read the above linked thread 3 times wondering what it gained you because of this already being possible with no customisation, but your post has confirmed I don't think I was missing anything!

6. stephen431

May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I hope that it is as good as I think it will be! My "always on" lens on my Alpha DSLR was the Zeiss 16-80 DT, but I found that with it mounted via the LA-EA2, it was just a little too bulky for me to bring everything with me (now that my son is getting older and we are starting to do a lot of "big boy" things, I really need to shrink the camera gear I am bringing with me). The 16-80 was as close to the perfect lens that I have ever had for regular AF shooting...I wish it was a 2.8 constant, but it did the job! The F/4 on the 16-70 should be a great lens and I am really looking forward to it!

I had been saving up for the lens and when the $300 rebate was available when purchased with the a6000 it made adding the camera an easier jump to make. The improved AF made the purchase a bit more palatable for my wife as well (she is not a fan of the NEX 6 as compared to the DSLR). The combo came in at a little bit more than I wanted to spend, but the potential improvements *should* make it worth while.

The funny thing is that I think I am more excited for the 16-70 than I have been for the a6000! I will let you you know how it works out when it comes in!

8. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    I would recommend Gary Friedman's ebook on the A6000.

It's just been released and I bought it yesterday spending half the night with camera in one hand, kindle in the other.

I rarely read manuals or guide books but this time I feel it is worth it as the A6000 has a lot more to offer and play with than my old NEX-5R.

Link is http://www.friedmanarchives.com/alpha6000/index.htm

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for the link! I am definitely going to check that video out. I have had mixed feelings in the past with Mr Fong (won't go into it here), but I do think that he brings some great perspective and can provide some really great information! Maybe my opinion will be corrected ;)

10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I normally pour over manuals but they have become so sparse... I am definitely a printed manual guy! I have always argued that I spend enough time in front of a display already, that I appreciate the paper manual in hand. But, I am "improving" and accepting that is no longer a reality. I am just super glad that small displays are becoming so easy to use! ;)

I have never bought a guidebook like that, but I have always been interested in getting one, but I think I might just have to get this one. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

11. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I have the one he did for the NEX 6 and can recommend it. Sure, there is going to be some stuff you already know and some information you may not be interested in, but there are also a number of "aha" moments and things that you just might not have thought about. I am thinking about getting the A6000 version also but I know some of it is going to be a cut and paste from the NEX 6 book. I have to decide if the additions are worth it for me (but in the end, I will probably buy it :)).

Would love to hear your thoughts on Gary Fong (send me a PM if you don't mind). I am also considering subscribing to his site for a month to view his "premium" videos. I know I can figure all this stuff out on my own if I just go through it all, but I find it helpful to get other perspectives and having all of the information in one place is also helpful. I'm just sorry that the videos aren't something that you get unlimited access to.

Glad to hear you finally got your A6000. I'm having a lot of fun with mine, but I feel like it is going to take some time with my limited shooting time to really learn the ins and outs of the camera. I can't help but feel like I need to use every one of those million features it has! :)

12. stephen431

May 2, 2014
    I tried (and likely failed) to set the time code on that Youtube link to start at the point where it shows him demoing the lock-on autofocus using a model moving around the room. It's at around 18:30 or so. I mainly linked it just to illustrate that the lock-on AF is now really good (unless there's a tie-dye shirt in the crowd).

Going from the NEX-6 to the a6000, you're probably not going to get much from the video other than a demonstration of where things are located in the menus. He also shows how to quickly set a custom white balance somewhere on that video, and that can be helpful if you haven't used that feature yet.

13. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    My referencing the back button focusing post was not about if it was a "customization" or not (or which button to use), but rather just a "tip" (that is what the OP asked for) that succinctly brought together a group of settings that allowed for what IMO made for a very intuitive control of both AF & MF. I found it very useful when having a new a6000 in my hands and it may have been quite a bit longer until I discovered (by other readings, viewing tutorials or just experimenting) this way of using the focusing features.

I do happen to prefer to assign it to another button besides the center button because I try to configure the oft used camera controls to be as non-modal as possible (ie: the same button/control ALWAYS does the same thing). I prefer to ONLY use the center button to mean "OK". If I use it for different things (modal), my aging brain starts to stutter before each press! Using a button in a totally non-modal way is the only way I can make common operations become subconscious. Yes to be sure, I am a throwback ... I long for controls like the Asahi Spotmatic I learned on. I stumbled into the NEX system, and I do love it, but with 20/20 hindsight I would probably have been better off with the Fujifilm X system because of the UI.

14. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Thanks for your thoughts. Agree about the modal train of thought, in general I try and keep the rest of the buttons as one thing only for the same reason - however in this case, since the OK button is never going to be used for it's OK purpose while I have my eye to the viewfinder I find it easy to switch in my head what it is used for, as it is only OK when in a menu I don't have the issue in this particular case. Plus it is a nice big button so easy to find with your thumb without looking so you can keep the shot composed and not fumble searching for it.

15. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I see your point but I still consider it a modal use of the button though perhaps more intuitive.

Agreed ... this feature has tempted me many times to map it to something else when I am in the button customization menu. So far I have remained true to my ideals and only use it for OK, but perhaps next time I am experimenting with button mappings I will give it a whirl.

Getting off topic ... I could talk subtleties of UI forever.

16. MarkG1234

MarkG1234 New to TalkEmount

Jun 24, 2014

I also book the book and I'm not so impressed with it, whilst it's chock full of information, it's also chock full of errors. I don't always have a sharp eye for this sorta thing, but I have stumbled across factual errors even in the first 80 or so pages.

Also forget using he EPUB or MOBI formats, they don't lay out properly, particularly picture wrapping, and looks like a lazy Calibre "press go" and ship it botch-job, the PDF is the only viable way to view it, but it then loses many of the advantages of a e-book. I would think twice about spending £15 on one next time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    He has issued a v1.1 which corrects most of the errors.

18. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    That is great to hear! I haven't bought it yet because I am still trying to decide if I am going to keep the a6000 (still dealing with the psychological let down of not having the16-70 to pair with it yet), but by looking at the sample pages I think it is something I will purchase. I did find one error on a sample page which I found a little funny after hearing that there were errors throughout [emoji6]

19. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Up against a new issue... I still don't have my 16-70 and to make a long story as short as possible, I need to make a decision now if I want to wait a bit longer for it or change my plan. I got the call today from the local camera store letting me know they would allow me to return my a6000 as well as get my money back for the lens. They told me that they could get me a Fuji X-E2 or a X-T1, which I didn't think they could (they don't normally carry Fuji).

Do I keep the a6000 and hold out for the 16-70 to come in, or do I return it, sell all of my Sony gear, and go to Fuji?

I am really starting to hate all of this. My photo gear life was so much easier when I just had A Mount gear and was happy lugging a heavy bag and wrecking my back. :-|

20. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Update: the camera shop that I use was finally able to pull the right strings and got my 16-70 (that I paid for in May I think) in today! I was not able t o pick it up until late this evening, so I have just been trying it out by taking low light pictures of my grumpy old cat. She wasn't happy about it, but she made a decent model for me. [emoji6]

It is not possible to judge much yet, but so far it seems like a great little lens! Shooting ISO 1600 and f/4, I was getting good sharpness (in the kitty's fur and eyes) in the center of the frame and on the edges. Did not really look at the corners, but will have plenty of time to c heck that out.

I have to say that I think the a6000 and the Zeiss 16 - 70 mm is much closer to the right kit for me! This focal length is where I shoot most of the time and the f/4 seems pretty good so far!