1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Traditional Maori Waka - war canoe

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by markoneswift, Mar 21, 2015.

1. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Hey everyone, been a bit quiet lately with images so I thought I would just pop this one up. Taken today at the Turangawaewae Regatta in Ngaruawahia, New Zealand. The regatta is one of the only occasions when the waka take to the water of the Waikato River and it's a pretty impressive site to see a dozen of them full manned by Maori.

The shot was taken with my NEX C3 and Lens Turbo II / FD 28mm F/2.8 combo. A little bit of PP to boost the contrast.

16879096605_28b3188056_b. Waka Head by markoneswift, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Neat stuff

• Like Like x 1
  3. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Great shots, full of action.

• Like Like x 1
  5. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Thanks for the comments guys. The shots of the waka crews were taken with a slightly odd lens combo - a Canon FD 50mm F/1.8 mounted on a Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter so I was probably at about 150mm taking into account the crop factor etc. Lost a fair bit of light due to the TC etc so the shutter wasn't quite as fast as I would have liked it even though I bumped the ISO. I really need a decent zoom, or a good prime combo covering around 80 to 300mm. Hmmm, shopping time !

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very nice indeed!