Track Day at Thunder Hill Raceway with the A7

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by ggibson, Oct 7, 2014.

1. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Thought I would share some shots I took this summer recently after picking up my A7. My father does some vintage racing with an old Lotus formula junior class car, and I went up to help him for the day (as well as take some photos). These were taken mostly in JPG mode with the A7 plus 28-70mm kit lens or an adapted Pentax 55mm f1.8 m42 lens. Post-processing was done in Lightroom. I hadn't used the A7 much at this point, so it was a lot of fun to play with the kit lens as well as the peaking on the Pentax lens. I really appreciated the EVF that day because it was about 95 degrees and very bright outside!

I wished I had access to a longer lens than 70mm, but I found some spots where I could get reasonably close to the track. Tried some panning shots with different degrees of success... it's always fun to practice and see what comes out. Most of the panning shots were at 1/60th, since that was as low as I could go without an ND filter to fit my lens (just stopped down to f20!). The full set of 40 photos is in the flickr album below. I picked out some of my favorites to post here. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 16
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    What a fun time
  3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    I like it, both composition and colors...
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    That's a great set of photos! Gives a real feel for the event.
  5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    Really nice, the lotus is beautiful.
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Very nice!!! I love automotive photography since I'm a big car fan too ;)
  7. bartjeej

bartjeej TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 8, 2014
    Very nice shots! I really like how "tangible" the photos look, despite being shown on an electronic screen! The light/shadow play on the front tyres in the first shot is my favourite aspect of this series.
  8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
  9. ggibson

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks, everyone--I appreciate the kind words :D
  10. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lovely shots! I do road racing and autocrossing myself. Your images really made it look like a fun event. Love the Alfa also!
  11. ggibson

Sep 1, 2011
    The Alfa is quite a cool car. The owner bought it decades ago, and he races it all the time. I think I remember my father telling me it's worth over $1M. And I thought photography was an expensive hobby ;-)
    • Like Like x 1