1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Touit 32mm versus Zeiss 24mm - Why the huge cost difference?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by starmite, Nov 24, 2014.

1. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm considering whether to ask "Santa" the SEL24f18z or the Zeiss Touit 32mm for my N7 for my Christmas gift this year. The Sony lens sells for $1,098 on Amazon, while the Touit sells for $720 at Amazon. Both have received very favorable reviews, and I get this is probably old territory for this forum, but why such a cost differential? Anyone with both have a preference (and why)?

2. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    as you shorten f/l it is harder to make a lens of equiv. aperture eg there are heaps of 50/1.8...but very few sub 30mm lenses with an aperture to match, the lenses become large , heavy & complex to counter the distortion a wide design produces [which it must be to have a large opening]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True. As for which one to buy - the Touit is smaller, has a slightly superior build quality and less chromatic aberrations, while the Sonnar offers better AF, a focus ring that's definitely faster to focus and a higher maximum magnification (1:4). But as always, focal length preference is the most important part here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    what do you see yourself using it for?
    also do you have the a6000 [or see yourself upgrading] to take adv of faster SEL lens focusing?

when i had the touit it was a great lens -but i didnt find the focal length got used enough -so traded it for a siggy 30mm, landscapes need wider -but for street shooitng its a useful lens, even the occasional portrait

5. jypfoto

jypfoto New to TalkEmount

Dec 13, 2014
    I prefer shooting with a 35mm focal length that I had on the RX1, the X100 series, so the 24 has my vote. It basically lived on my NEX-6 when I had it in late 2012/early 2013. The Touit has a noise motor, awkward rubber focusing ring, and focuses slower. Also the Sony 35 is cheaper and has OSS which is more helpful in my opinion.

Used copies of the 24 can be had in the $600-800 range, so keep your eyes out for one at a bargain price.

6. MrT-Man

MrT-Man New to TalkEmount

Oct 16, 2013
    I have both, and honestly it's hard to pick between the two. The 32 is sharper, has better color, and has a hyper-realistic rendering. The 24 isn't quite as sharp, but has better bokeh, focuses faster, and has a magical character to its rendering. From a pure technical perspective, the 32 is likely the better lens -- I've been astonished at how razor sharp the images are, and how punchy the colors are, but again the 24 has a very pleasing character to it. If AF speed is a consideration, then I would definitely steer you to the 24.

Have a look at flickr images of the two and maybe you'll spot the differences in how they render. I like the build quality of the 32 better, as well as its compactness, but the 24 isn't all that much larger.

Ultimately I'd say the most important consideration is focal length, and that's a matter of personal preference. The focal length difference between 24 and 32 is larger than you might think, which is why I'm happy to have both of them. The 24 is more useful as a general purpose, walking-around lens; the 32 is more useful if you're going to have people in many of your shots. Personally I find it hard to frame landscape/architecture/sight-seeing shots at 32mm, but maybe I just need more practice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shnitz

shnitz TalkEmount Regular

Jun 15, 2014
    The Touit is useless for street shooting. I love the lens and wouldn't trade it for the world, but Zeiss' motto should be "Image quality. The end." The focusing on it SUCKS. I shoot with a NEX-6, and it's slow. In poor light, not only does it hunt, but it heavily misfocuses.

The price difference is due to branding. The Sony is a more mainstream lens, so it's carried in more places. The Touit is clearly a much more niche-designed lens. You'll find the Sony 24mm for sale at big box stores; that's not the case with the Touit.

As far as which to buy, it depends both on what you hope to do with it, and what focal length do you prefer? Do you have something like an 18-55mm to test the focal length range? Set it on aperture priority to f/5.6 just to see which field of view you prefer. I love the normal lens range, but there is a reason that the Fuji X100, Sony RX1, etc. are all 35mm equivalent. Back before zoom lenses were popular, photojournalists and wedding photographers loved to use the 35mm as their main lens. Just slightly wide so you can get more environmental photos, plus getting more in the frame. They're relatively close-ish, but not really substitutes for one another. It also depends on what your other lenses are. If you have something like the Sony 20mm or Sigma 19mm, the 24mm may be too close for you. I have a 12mm, 20mm, 32mm, 60mm kit, and I love it, but I'm always peeking at Craigslist ads for a used 24mm to add to my collection, or maybe even a Zeiss 16-70mm! Haha, I have too much glass already, but there's never enough.

Doesn't this argument go the wrong way? The 24mm is CHEAPER than the 32mm, which is the opposite of what your argument predicts.

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm confused :confused: Aren't both of these Zeiss lenses?

9. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    No they are not, the 24 is sony zeiss while the touit is just zeiss. With the sony zeiss I believe (not 100% sure) the lens is predominantly designed by sony, (with zeiss input of course). They are made to finer tolerances than normal sony lens's and have many more QA done while manufacturing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Actually. Sony Zeiss is designed by Zeiss exclusively for Sony. It is manufactured by Sony to Zeiss specs. That's why it still appears on the Zeiss website. They take ownership of the design. It is a Zeiss lens.

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/camera_lenses/csc/sonnarte1824za.html

• Like Like x 2
  11. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Ah well good to know

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ;)

13. shnitz

shnitz TalkEmount Regular

Jun 15, 2014
    WestOkid is correct, sorry for being vague. Zeiss designed it, and Sony builds it in their factory to Zeiss specs. I don't mean to imply that it is inferior in any way, because it isn't. I'm just saying that Sony had input into the specifications related to ensure that autofocus was a priority, whereas Zeiss seemed not to care for the 32mm. The 24mm is still just as great a lens, and I'd own it in a heartbeat if I got a deal on it. I just owned the Nikon 35mm with my D200 and D90, the Panasonic 25mm with my G2, and now the 32mm. I'm a normal lens guy.

• Like Like x 1