Touch screen Focus and Shoot on Sony A 7 III

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Regular
I have been customising my new Sony A7 III very slowly so I can be sure of what I am doing and am able to remember the settings.

In my Olympus 5 Mark II:
I pointed with the finger on the screen and the camera not only focused on that point but also took the shot.

How can I do the same in the Sony A 7 III ?
Any tip please ?
Thanks ! :)
-
What for ? To make light painting.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I don't believe the Sony A7iii will allow both focus and shoot on the touch screen, only focus. It would be very handy if it did both like on my Canon 6D Mark 2 but, then on the Canon I cannot use touch focus while viewing through the eye level viewfinder. Everything in photography is a series of choices and compromises,
This seems like a good rundown on touch screen focus of the A7iii...

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
I wonder if the smartphone app would allow focus-and-shoot to be used the way you are hoping. I could not find it quickly with a search, maybe just give that a try and see.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Regular
Richard and Bob thank you for your comments. :)
Richard, I have seen that video before and I am using the touch screen for focusing in the area or point I want.
It is the only way so far, that I can move the focus from one person to another.
Anyway I have installed the Imaging Edge Mobile already in the iPad and iPhone so I can control the camera from one of them at the time.
I am preparing a large scale session of light painting. And what do I want ?

Connect the camera to the mobile app so I can shoot from there. Setting on camera will be make on itself.
Connect the camera to the MacBook Pro (Lightroom or Viewer Imaging Edge) to tether to the camera and see what I am doing constantly.

The photo I have done and which I have shown you above was done at home (why not ?) and with the Olympus. It turned out to be OK after some work in CC, of course.
But this time I hope to be able to do something more ambitious: photograph some churches and saints here, locally.
Here, these things are always hard to get. I have been insisting and I will keep doing so.

BTW - I think I will be doing something similar - light painting - with musical instruments.
Let's see what the future reserves me.

To colorise the thread here goes a photo from another light painting session made some time ago. Not very good I know... :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Regular
To go around and to do what I want (to shoot without touching the camera) I have been working with the Imaging Edge during the afternoon and a MacBook.
The only issue is that the cable is far too short. I have to try an alternative or work with this.
I'll have to try the BlueTooth but that will be in another day.

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
Just so you are aware, Wifi should also work for a phone, tablet, or laptop. The camera can act as a "hot spot" for other devices to connect to it.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I bought a $1 aftermarket Infrared Remote off ebay to trigger my cameras without touch. It has a main shutter button and a 2-sec. delay button.
If I need BULB, I push the shutter button once, and push it again to end session.
I can use my phone but find this to be so much more simpler and easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom