1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Tou/Five Star MC auto macro zoom 1:4.5 75-200mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Illusionz97, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Illusionz97

Illusionz97 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 10, 2014
    Souther California
    Here are a couple photos of my faithfull and loyal pain in the a** Preston. Taken with the Tou/Fivestar macro zoom. on a Nex5n. Images was processed in Lighroom. First 2 images I cleaned up the noise as best possible since it was shot with ISO at 3200 but I really like the roughness of the images, really captures his attitude. Second image was a quick touch up, and wish I could've taken a whole shot of his pose but the guy wont stand still for more than a second. Still getting used to Lightroom so any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Hope you enjoy and maybe we can see some more pics with this lens adapted.
    [​IMG]"609" height="1024" alt="DSC00330"></a>[/IMG]
    [​IMG]"601" height="1024" alt="DSC00331"></a>[/IMG]
    [​IMG]"1024" height="603" alt="DSC00222"></a>[/IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Hey, I've got that same lens. It was one of my first two SR/MC/MD mount lenses (along with a Minolta MD 50mm f/2) that I inherited/borrowed from my parents along with the Minolta X-700 it paired with.

I haven't used it much since I got the SEL55210 though. Maybe I'll have to bring it out for the holidays.

3. Illusionz97

Illusionz97 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 10, 2014
    Souther California
    I have that Minolta lens for my NEX aswell and I really enjoy shooting with it, I aswell inherited these from my parents. Its nice to see the difference in images between lenses and not stick with just the kit lens. Gets you out of that comfort zone.

4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Really like the third shot :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. brianjgeraghty

brianjgeraghty New to TalkEmount

Feb 13, 2015
    freakin' awesome

So I'm also in the nex family (Nexc3) and I have my great uncle's old minolta. As I've really just started to get into/understand lenses this post is of particular interest to me. Turns out, he had that exact same Fivestar Macro/Zoom lens and I was just wondering how I could hook that up to my Nex C3. On top of all that, the wife and I are about to go on a trip to Scotland, and I found myself lacking a Zoom lens. What kind of converter did you get to make these things work? and what was the experience like using such a vintage lens? Would it even be worth me picking up a converter and considering taking this glass on a trip like that? esp since my biggest zoom now/today is 18-55mm that came with my Nex?

I appreciate any advice you can offer!

thanks
    ~Brian

6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    As long as your copy of the Tou/FiveStar MC Macro Zoom 75-200 f4.5 is a Minolta SR/MC/MD mount copy - which it probably is if your inherited film camera is a Minolta - then you can simply buy a basic Minolta MD-to-NEX adapter off of Amazon (or eBay, etc.) in order to easily connect it to your NEX-C3.

Just do a search for "MD to NEX adapter" and you should get plenty of hits on one of those seller sites for the proper adapters. Units from Fotasy or Fotodiox will suffice and should be available between US$10 - 30 easily. More expensive units from makers like Novoflex may be higher quality and have better tolerances, but the cheaper models seem to perform well enough for most uses.

Of course, this lens, even when "adapted" will still be a fully manual operator. No autofocus, and no electronic aperture control, and certainly no power zoom. If you are okay with those limitations, and are familiar with the NEX's focus peaking for manual focusing, then you'll be fine and should be able to get some good use out of this and other legacy lenses.

Enjoy!

P.S. - One other thing, when mounting lenses without electronic contacts, like old manual lenses on adapters, you will need to dive into the NEX menus and switch on the setting for something like "shutter enabled without lens". When an old adapted lens is attached the camera has no way of even knowing the lens is there and needs to be told to permit opening of the shutter "without lens".

• Like Like x 2