1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Torn between the Zeiss 24 or the 32mm touit

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by darthpnoy88, Oct 14, 2013.

1. darthpnoy88

darthpnoy88 New to TalkEmount

Sep 28, 2013
    Debating which lens I should get for my Nex5r whether which one is worth getting thoughts appreciated??

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Well the most important difference would be viewing angle. Do you use "normal" or "wide" the most often? Any other consideration would be a distant second IMHO.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Optically, they're about equal. 24 has smoother focus ring and better close focusing (1:4 magnification vs 1:9), 32 has slightly better build quality. But it all comes down to which focal length you prefer.

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I say, save yourself a bunch and get the Sony 35mm f1.8

That lens is bloody brilliant. And unlike either Zeiss it has OSS

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Both Zeiss lenses have far better contrast and are a little sharper with nicer bokeh and better build quality than the Sony 35mm, but of course, for its money the Sony lens is a very good performer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Zeiss 24mm is a Sonnar design and has better bokeh then Touit 32mm which is a planar design. Planar designs are not famous for bokeh as I prefer Sony 35mm OSS for that as said above unless you are looking for contrasty landscape lens. More important is which viewing angle you prefer? I like 50mm but lately I prefer 35mm for street/walking lens...

7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah... i kinda do want the 24mm Zeiss. The contrast, the sharpness, viewing angle.... yep.

But i am happy with my 35mm Sony, wouldnt swap it for Touit. That is the lens i take with me out at night, nice and compact and the OSS is very useful.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrT-Man

MrT-Man New to TalkEmount

Oct 16, 2013
    I have both. It's a tough call, they're both awesome lenses.

The Touit 32 is technically superior -- the images are much sharper, and there's maybe just a touch more color/contrast. Chromatic aberrations are much better controlled than with the 24. It's the clear winner when pixel-peeping. The build quality is nicer, and it's more compact as well.

But the Zeiss 24 has a certain character to it that's amazing; it renders in a magical, artistic way, with very pleasing bokeh. The bokeh of the 32 certainly isn't bad at all, to be clear, but can be a little busy depending on the shot. I'd suggest you look at a lot of flickr shots to get a flavor for the differences.

The Zeiss 24 focuses quicker, but I think people complain too much about the Touit's 32 focusing. We're talking 1-2 seconds at most. If focus speed was a key issue, we'd all probably be using SLRs instead.

I'm not sure which one I would give up, if I had to pick one. I find I've been using the 32 a lot more lately, but that's because the focal length works better for people shots (and that's most of what I've been taking). The 24's focal length makes it a better walking-around sight-seeing lens.